I'm just curious what other mommas think......when is a good age for your child to have a cell phone?? My daughter really wants one......but she is only going to be 8....she is in several activities....but none of which I'm not there. I am a SAHM and I personally do not feel she needs one yet....what do you all think?

zellalyn

Asked by zellalyn at 9:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont think i'll ever give my kid a cell phone. If she/he wants a phone he/she will have to pay for it his/her self.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i dunno ive told all my kids they dont need a cell phone till they r 16.....i dont think young kids should have cell phones but that is my own personel feelings...nothing against anyone who feels diff....
    RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 9:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My daughter wont one until she is old enough to pay for it, or if we NEED her to have one for something (and then only those kids one with like 4 numbers in it, etc). I had a cell phone when I could pay to put min on it. The same will apply for my child.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i don't think she needs one. i didn't have a cell phone till i went to college. i know that now everyone has one, but i would try to put it off for as long as possible. i could see waiting till 16 because then they can drive. but as long as they are always at reachable places i dont see a reason for it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Hubby and I decided from day one- they get a prepaid phone when they are driving for emergencies. Anything better or fancier comes if they get a job and pay for it.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• im soooooooo glad im not the only one who feels that way....at 16 they r driving thats the only way they would ever have one unless THEY paid for it!!!
    RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 9:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• well, if she is in that many activities that you feel she needs one, you can buy her a phone that she can only call out to certain numbers and im not sure, but i think you can make it so only certain people can call her as well... That way you arent worried about who else she is talking to, or trying to text etc. I know a women who had this for her daughter and i thought it was a good idea, they could only keep in touch with each other and other important family members for emergencies if needed.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• thank you so much ladies for your input! It just totally blew me away when she came out of left field with this.....lol and then my MIL was like "well why not?"

I think if my MIL wishes her to have one....fine....she can be the superhero and buy her one and pay for all the irresponsible usages.

Personally, I think she is too young and does not need one at all currently. When she gets to the age where she is away from us for other reasons then just the few hours in a school day then I will get her a pre-paid phone.......but anything above and beyond the basics she needs to pay for.

I'm such a mean mommy! LOL
    zellalyn

Answer by zellalyn at 9:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My oldest is 8 1/2 and she has no need for one. She is only ever in one of three places...home, her best friend's house and school. All three places have an adult and a phone so what does she need one for?

My kids won't get one until they can pay for it themselves. I survived my childhood without a cell phone and so can they.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think 13 is a good age....
    tuttiepiemomma

Answer by tuttiepiemomma at 10:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2009