Formula in-take for 8 month old?

My 8 month old has began to fight me with the bottle. He was drinking 3-8oz bottles morning lunch and supper. Now we do good to get a full 8 oz [maybe a little more] in him a day. He eats his baby food very well, juice well, but he just doesn't want his bottle. I know he needs that until he is a year old, so is this normal? Or do I feed him more baby food to make up for the bottle he doesn't drink. How much is he supposed to be eating at this age.????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at 8 months my son was eating oatmeal and a 6oz bottle for breakfast, an 8oz bottle for lunch, cereal and baby food with a 6oz bottle for dinner (we had him on a schedule, breakfast at 8am, lunch at 12, dinner at 4. he went to bed at 8 and slept till 8) didn't give him juice that early either. maybe you need to temerarily stop the juice? i know the juice tastes better than the formula, maybe have him wash down the food with the bottle instead.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My son did something similar to this. The doctor told me that if he wasn't getting the 16 oz a day, he was getting too many calories from the food. If he got more than 32 oz of formula, he was replacing food calories with formula calories. I would cut back on the amount of juice and baby food you give him, and try and see if he takes the formula more. Hopes this helps!
    HeatherLeigh

Answer by HeatherLeigh at 9:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• ha ha, my daughter never has eaten 8 oz at one time except one night when she was binge eating around 3 months....lol. i would definately try to give her more formula, but maybe try doing smaller amounts at a time instead of 8 oz at a time. my daughter will be 8 months on the first and is wanting to eat less formula, but still definately more than 8 oz. a day
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Maybe you are giving too much baby food. I don't know though. How much formula should a child this age be drinking a day? I only feed dd baby food at dinner time. Otherwise, all she gets is formula. I think she is getting about 30oz of formula a day.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I would cut down on the baby food a little and see if he'll take more formula. Do you put juice in a bottle or sippy cup? Maybe try putting formula in a sippy.
    Anonymous

• At 8 months maybe try it in a sippy cup. Maybe he is feeling too much of a big boy! I know my daughter loves her juice, but i will not give it to her until she drinks her milk. She for some reason does not want milk during the day either, but at night she screams when its gone! But my daughter is also on reg milk, she couldnt tollerate the formula so the dr had me switch at 6 months because she was just spiting up her formula all the time and we tried 6 different kinds. But she has been on a sippy cup since she was 4 months and does really good. Try that, and i wouldnt so much cut out the juice completly because if he isnt drinking anything that could be worse. But i would make him drink his milk first. GL
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• well my son is 7 months old and he eats oatmeal for breakfast in the morning and then he gets 3-8oz bottles a day. and gets one jar of baby food with water. his pediatrician told us to quit giving him juice and give him water. also what we are feeding him is what he should be having. atleast 24 ounces of formula a day. so if u need to i would substitute the baby food for the bottle. Dont worry though he will be fine.
    davidsmommy2008

Answer by davidsmommy2008 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2009