• In the Spotlight:

Why does my almost 4 yr old do this???

She will be 4 in April. She said her ABC's one day a few months ago achually I think it was before christmas and we made a big deal out of it. So she wanted to tell everyone so we called grandma (my mom) gramama (that is what she calls my grandma) and we called a friend of mine then we even called daddy at a buddys house lol. Well sense then it was like she forgot how to do them because she mixed them up, just like counting she can count to 10 then she mixes them up. I knowtest and realized she will count 1 to 10 upstairs when she is supose to be sleeping and she even does her ABC's but then when she tries doing them infront of you the numbers sometimes she does sometimes she can't, but her ABC's if she is infront of you she always mixes them up, but can do it just fine by herself why is that???

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• LOL - I call it performance anxiety! She's trying to meet everyone expectations since she was praised so highly for getting it right and such a fuss was made the first time, she's likely afraid of messing up, gets anxious, and then messes up because she's nervous. My son doesn't like to do anything "public" until he knows he has it right - so one way I help him is if I'm doing it to, like singing a song, counting, or abc's, I intentionally mess up so he can help me and know that we ALL flub it one time or another - some of us more than others! Also, he messes up as a game to see if I'll catch him when he's wrong. Your daughter might be doing the same, or she could be messing up because of nerves. Either way, help her along, play dumb, mess up yourself, let her know that making mistakes are OKAY and that the most important thing is having fun!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• she might be nervous. that would be my guess. Just practice them with her every so often.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• maybe she gets nervous when shes around people right now it took my daughter while to say hers right and she will be 4 in april now shes always saying them lol
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my son is the same. I can hear him in his room doing things, but when I ask him to do them for me, he suddenly cant. I have found that the less pressure to perform there is, the more likely he is to get it right. if she messes up, just pretend like it is no big deal and go on to something else.

she'll get there.
    -Leann-

Answer by -Leann- at 11:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It could be nerves...but being able to recite them isn't as important as recognition anyway...so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• maybe she misses you working on it together? try to teach her something new and then go back to it. ..................i bet she will rememeber then..............lol kids are so funny like that!
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 6:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2009