How can i completely wean my 1 year old off the boob?

My 13 month old is still nursing almost as much as she always has. and while I love the closness I feel it's getting time for her to stop. Trouble is I have no idea how to even start. I've tried to have her skip a session but she screams and i end up giving in....HELP! please

Asked by hobbitmafia214 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Substitue the boob for either a bottle or a sippy cup. That's how I had to do it with Katie (my oldest).

Answer by tinandril at 10:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• We decided self-weaning was much better than torture (that's what weaning is likened to). Mommy milk was the best thing for ds. It We are so close, and ds is very outgoing.

Answer by frmhnyb2bttrfly at 11:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• when i went from the boob to the bottle (mine was only a few months old though) i took out one feeding a day at first then slowly took out more and more until we were all the way off. i started at night and kept to a routine. she did very well.

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• There is no reason you have to wean at a year. If your baby is still nursing that much, it's because she still needs the closeness. There are SO many benefits to breastfeeding longer, not only to your baby, but to YOU as well.

If you would like more information, feel free to check out the breastfeeding toddlers group on cafemom. You can find a link on my homepage.

Good Luck!

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 1:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Here is a great article on the benefits of extended breastfeeding:

You definitely don't have to stop at a year, as it sounds like your little one isn't ready:)

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 12:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2008