My kid is dragging ass on her homework, and I'm trying not to lose it...

How can I get my kid to stop dragging ass on her homework. Seriously it's taking her 10 minutes to do math problems that she knows how to do, and she needs to get this done. I'm helping her too, we're both getting frustrated :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my son is 8 and i have to make sure the tv is off first....i bought a bunch of dinsaurs and other things to help make it a little fun and that seemed to help alot.....
    RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 10:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my step daughter has brought home some math homework that she says she is timed on at school. she can normally do the whole sheet in like 2 minutes. but you could start by giving her five. then go over it with her to check for mistakes. if there are story problems this probably won't work. umm....if she knows how to do the problem, then try giving her more independence with the homework. i have been trying to step back more and more with my 2nd grader because she is doing very well at becoming more independent with her homework. I don't remember when i started doing my homework on my own, but i want her to be ready for that when she needs to. however, i will always check her homework over. lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Hi I wish I could help I am in the same boat my son age 7 yrs. does this to me the only thing I could say is to take a break from each other. And have her go to a quiet room give her her instructions that she needs to do put her on a timer and check her every once in awhile. This is was has worked for me but there are times where he wants to start that shit with me again.

I pray this is only a phase at least once they start to grow up they will be able to be more responsible with their own homework GL  The only thing I can say is to have patience and take deep breathes every once in awhile :)

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Set a time limit. If they are not done by the time the timer goes off they lose all privilages. You work before you play, they need to as well. You have to stick with it though. Make sure you follow through. I homeschool and my kids try this on me. I usually say, you have one hour to get through your math lesson (they are LONG), set the timer, have them read the lesson to me and start cleaning the kitchen or doing something else. Don't hover, instruct them to ask you for help if they really need it. Otherwise tell them they need to show you how independant they can be and work alone. Then check to see if they understand what they are doing.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:01 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• GL. My daughter is 8 (almost 9) and it takes her FOREVER to do her homework. I know sometimes it helps if I let her go in her room and do it, but still, I'm just glad that it doesn't happen everyday, just sometimes.
    melittler

Answer by melittler at 11:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I had that issue until I made her do her homework right after school. The quicker you get your work done the quicker you can play with your toys, with friends, or watch a movie, play on the computer. I said that and she started getting it done all by herself and quicker than anything.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I went through this myself with my 2nd grader. It would take him over an hour to get 1 page of homework done. What worked for me was to make sure there were no distractions around. We turned off the TV, put the cat in another room, removed anything around him that he could play with, I was in the same room with him and I set up an award system. I set a timer to a reasonable time and told him that if he could complete his homework within that time I would reward him with something HE wanted not me. It worked out great! Remember the reward must be set first and to something that HE wants and the timer must be reasonable. Too short of time will cause discouragement. It may not work for everyone but it did for me. Good luck.
    Mom525

Answer by Mom525 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think Mom525 said it all. No distractions, no hunger (food or the lack of it can affect the way you think), a set time for homework backed by your expectations, and an open door, if she needs to
    communicate with you about it. It helps if a child has a designated area for homework, where
    they have what they need, without extras that could waste their time or distract their focus. Because most kids are short term thinkers, the idea of incentive based time management is
    great.
    bookkeeper11107

Answer by bookkeeper11107 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2009