What do you believe in?

Are you religious or spiritual? Do you force your kids to believe in what you believe in or do you show them by living as an example? I was never forced to believe in anything. I was told about God and I was able to ask questions and I wasn't forced to believe on certain thing. I even wanted to go to church at one point. I stopped going because I experience to often this pressure to be some certain way. I don't think that is right. There is a God, but I think he comes in different ways for different people. So what is so wrong with that?

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 10:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have a strong faith ...if that's what you mean by being religious, and i am very spiritual. My son is not forced. I guide him in what i believe and ask him if he'd like to do the things that i do. But he is only 3yo now. When he get's older and asks more direct questions I will answer saying, "i belive ______. But Christians believe _________. And i bet Hindus might thinks something else, let's look it up together." ...or ya know. something along those lines.
    And in my faith we dont believe that it is wrong for ppl to find God in their own way.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• This synergistic religious belief is dangerous because it detracts from the one true God and His son Jesus.

It's a diversion tactic of satan masked as something good.

Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Im sorry Praying, but I feel that your close mindedness is a tactic of satan, your way of thinking is a very dangerous way of starting wars and division!
    Anonymous

• What do you believe in? God, His Word (The Bible), His Son Jesus, He's coming again!
    Are you religious or spiritual? Both...
    Do you force your kids to believe in what you believe in or do you show them by living as an example? No...do not force...Teach (Prov. 22:6 Train up...) As a family we choose to be in the house of the Lord everytime the doors are open..(Heb. 10:25) to be under the teaching and preaching of God's Word.

I was never forced to believe in anything. I was told about God and I was able to ask questions and I wasn't forced to believe on certain thing. I even wanted to go to church at one point. I stopped going because I experience to often this pressure to be some certain way. I don't think that is right. There is a God, but I think he comes in different ways for different people. So what is so wrong with that? I would like to answer that question with a question? How is your relationship with Him?
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 10:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I believe in having a relationship and not religion. I hope my children will believe because they see their father and I have a good relationship with God. no matter what, good and bad.
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 10:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• heavenschild you are slightly intense. that is ok though. i can respect your points of view. i asked the question because i was curious about others, not because i feel i am lacking in faith or spirituality. i believe in God. I do not believe in the bible. i feel it's word is abused and missunderstood. i am a spiritual person. i have witnessed parents force their beliefs on their children. i do not believe that is right. i think you teach them by living as an example. you bring your religion or faith to them.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 11:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• IzzeAddy I too..think as parents we also should lead by examples. There are also Christians who carry their children to church and their children see them act one way there and another at home. What is not only a bad testimony for others, but mainly for their children. Your walk and your talk should be the same. And by the way..my oldest sister I believe is saved and doesn't hardly go to church anymore...years. Something happened...not sure what. But, believe she knows the Lord as her Savior..she just isn't under the preaching and teaching of His Word. Doesn't make her a bad person...I think she's pretty COOL! .....Intense, I guess that's okay! Ha..
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I agree with Heavenschild99.. Very good answer!
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 11:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Our job as parents is to teach our children. We make decisions for our children every day. How could we leave the most important thing untaught? My children have known about God from the beginning. They are developing their own relationship with him through our family, church, and CCD.

sometimes they don't want to go to church. I as the parent make the decision for them, the same way I do when they don't want to go to school. they don't know everything yet, and God has entrusted them with me to teach them.

It'ss so much easier to expect children to make moral choices when they have been exposed to the teaching of those choices for several years. My children are making friends with like minded children. I feel that they are not as pressured about sex, because they have many friends that are raised the same way.

I feel helping my children develop a relationship with the Lord is the most important job as a mom.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 2:57 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My job as a parent to my 8 yr old is to guide him... when he ask I will answer in the same manner as 'outstandinglove' stated in her post... ( well said by the way )
     He will be able to choose which religious (if any) path he wishes too when the time comes ... we will make sure that he is open minded to "ALL" walks of Faith/Religions ...

We will let him know that is it ok to believe the way he wishes too (or lack of it) and others have the right to do the same... we all have paths it's just a matter of time until we find the right one for us...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2009