My Baby boy is 6 weeks, almost 7weeks. When he was born he weighed 9lbs 1oz, to date he is 13lbs. He eats every 2-3 hours 6 oz. Sometimes he cant make it 3 hours, is this normal? Am I over feeding him?

TySyd20

Asked by TySyd20 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are NOT overfeeding. You cannot over feed a baby. If he wants it, he takes it and he doesn't spit it back up...he's good. You know his cries. You know if he's crying because of a tummy ache, or if it's because he's hungry.

He's not eating anywhere NEAR what mine ate at that age...and our pediatrician was fine with letting them eat when they were hungry.

A baby eating a lot does not mean it's going to be obese as an adult. Not teaching good eating habits through childhood will guarantee obesity at some point in adulthood, though.

Feed a hungry baby. Feed on demand.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:00 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• That's normal i think. You cant really over feed a baby.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• sounds like a growth spurt.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I dont really know what to tell you because my DD was the same way, about 12.5 Lbs at her 2 month check up and when she was 3 months i would hear really nasty comments about how big she was but it wasnt my fault. Maybe he just needs some extra loving or maybe he has heartburn. I got to the point where I gave her water sometimes because i was going through a ton of formula and i didnt think she should have been eatting that much (2 lbs container every week, THATS ALOT!)
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Every baby is different... there are times (especially now) where my DS wants to eat every 45 min.. Which is why I started him on cereal and fruits/veggies (he's 6 months though) before there were times he would eat ever 4 hours.. other times he wanted to eat constantly.. they let you know how much they need. I don't think you're overfeeding.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Keep in mind that he will grow at least 6 inches in the first 6 months. That takes a LOT of food.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• 3 hours is a guideline. You should feel a baby when it gives you hunger cues.
    Anonymous

• All I can tell you without giving a byes opinion is that some babies eat when they have tummy aches. If you're giving him formula you might need to change the type, or if you're giving him breast milk change you diet.
    CadensMama117

Answer by CadensMama117 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I dont think so. Unless your doctor is worried about it. I wouldnt. Now my DS is also 6 months old and weighs 19lbs 3oz. He eats a lot. But he's a big boy lol. As long as your baby is happy and has no major health problems I wouldnt worrry.
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• that sounds pretty normal. i fed on demand. and i think that is the best way. as long as your doctor thinks his weight is good. i wouldn't worry about it.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 27, 2009