Do you have to be certified to be a doula?

I really want to become one but at the moment I can't afford to go to the classes or anything like that.I have been through labor and with other women during theres and have helped them and I love the whole process of labor and delivery.Could I charge to do what a doula does and use what ever money I make to get my certificate?Would that be bad?Please I really want to be one and help women through labor and I eventually want to be a certified doula.Are there women out there now that aren't certified doing it so they soon can be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I hope so.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• babycakes, a doula is just emotional support for labor. There is no medical training involved at all, so your comment makes no sense.

You can advertise as an uncertified doula. You should have some sort of portfolio showing what type of self-study you have done, how many births you have attended, and anything else that you feel is necessary. You may be attractive to women who don't have a lot of money to pay for a certified doula.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:43 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No, my doula for my last birth wasn't certified and she was wonderful! A doula is just there to mother the mother and provide support and reassurance. I don't see why you'd need a certification for that. Many doulas also choose not to be and it doens't make them any less of a doula.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2009