At-home daycare vs daycare facility.

Which one would you prefer and why? My son is turning 2 and I have found 2, one at home and one regular daycare. At home is 90 (was 110, but SO is coworkers with child care's husband) and regular is 120 per week. Both places have a structured day, teaches colors/numbers/etc. I am kinda torn between both. Please advise. Thank you, ladies.

bbymama

Asked by bbymama at 10:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as they are both certified and equal in every other way I would go with the less expensive to help out a family and to get more personal attention.
    In general what makes one better than the other are the people who work there. Have you gone and observed both of them unannounced? That could really solidfy your decision.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I personally know a lot oof people who have their children in a home day care and love it. Their children are happy and well taken care of. One of my coworkers pays $75.00 per week for 2 children at a home day care. I choose to pay quite a bit more and go without other things because I know that my daughter is safe, well taken care of, has structured activities and has discipline. She loves the daycare so much, she doesn't want to leave. She was in a different center before and was constantly getting bit and hit by the other children and also had constant diaper rashes. I would talk to other parents that take their children to the different daycares and see what they have to say. After my last experience, I would have no problems going up to a parent in the parking lot and asking questions regarding the daycare. Check the health and human services website for your state and see if they have been written up. good luck
    charjaxx

Answer by charjaxx at 11:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i agree it depends on the people who work there and the needs of your family. i do in home daycare myself and have had my kids in both center based and home based care. you just have to go with your gut and be careful. alot can and does happen in any childcare setting. do your research and make sure you are comfortable. if not forget it . if your gut says no dont do it, your instinct as a mom is verry powerful. use it .
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 5:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I perfer a day care center. 1. If the home day care lady gets sick, who replaces her? Do you have to find your own sitter? Does someone you don't know take over? 2. Day cares have many kids the same age. Your child will socialize with other 2 year olds v. being with a range of kids. I think they learn much better watch each other. 3. In general, day care seems to be more structed. Again, I think it's because they have the same age group so can build a schedule around the naps, lunch, etc. 4. Day care center typically has higher standards in hiring. If a teacher is not working out, they get replaced. There is more inspect internally. I don't like that the day care is stricter about medicines, but I understand why. Attention may not be as personal at a home care. Genearlly, there is more flexability at the home center.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• ... attention may not be as personal *as it would* at a home care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I love my sons home daycare! It is awesome. She only has 6 kids and he gets alot of attention. He has learned so much and she gives them so much love. At first I was iffy about home day cares but I like it alot. It just depends on the person. It took me awhile to find this one, and I had taken my son to another lady when I first started school and I just didnt like her. She sat on her ass, and made them just watch tv. I gated it. Here the tv is hardly on, they get great meals, they do arts and crafts.. I love it. Im sure the daycare centers are great too, you just have to go with your gut and make sure you trust these people with your child. Goodluck sweets!
    MommyAmbie

Answer by MommyAmbie at 9:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I had my daughter in home day care until I changed her to a day care center right before she turned 2. The family day care was great and the lady took real good care of her... always made fresh cooked meals and gave lot of personal attention since there were only 4 kids in total. But after she turned 18 months, I felt she was really getting bored there. As there were other infants and 2 big kids, she had no kids of her own age and she wouldn't take the kids outdoors much as there was an infant.
    Now she goes to a day care center and she loves it... she gets to mingle with kids of her own age and has a great time playing all day. In family day care there are lot more restrictions just like in home as they dont want their homes thrashed but in centers its like a play ground and they only have kid safe stuff... so they can have more unrestricted play.
    I feel family care is great for little kids but center is better for 2 yro
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 11:31 AM on Feb. 27, 2009