How can I help my 8 year old stop biting her nails?

Rosietoo

Asked by Rosietoo at 10:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• there is some stuff you can buy to put on her nails and that is suppose to help i always bit mine
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• You could tell her that she is putting germs in her mouth every time she puts her fingers in it. I don't want to gross you or her out, but pinworm eggs can be on fingers. I don't know if you want to bring that up with her though, it is kind of shocking.

The way I stopped, I was in about 4th grade so that would have made me age 10, I told myself that if I could catch myself 30 times starting to put my hands near my face to bite my nails, that I'd be cured of the habit. and it worked. I got in the habit of noticing when I was going to bite my nails.

Something my mother said to me I also remember. She told me that if I let my nails grow that my hands would be more graceful. I'm not sure if that is true, but maybe they do look more elegant, anyway.

So diseases or parasites, counting conscious stops, and being graceful and elegant.

Answer by Bmat at 11:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• good luck, i'm 26 and still bite mine. I REALLY have to stop my 2 year old is starting to copy me! yuck!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 27, 2009