How can I help my 20 month old gain weight?

My 20 month old is 22.5lbs, and has been since 15 months. He eats everything cooked in olive oil, some things with it added, avacados, sunbutter, golden pea butter, fresh fruits and veggies, Glutino whole grain snack bars, brown rice bread, etc. He drinks 16oz of hemp milk a day, and we've started giving him coconut milk as well. He eats coconut yogurt and coconut ice cream and anything else with healthy fats, complex carbs, etc. He's allergic to milk, soy, gluten, beef and other things, so Pediasure isn't an option. How can I help him gain weight? I don't want to "fatten him up." I just want to know of any ideas to help promote healthy weight gain, as I know gradual, steady weight gain should continue the second year, which it hasn't for him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you trying to provide him with a vegan diet? When I was worried about my daughter's weight, I limited the amount of carbohydrates that I offered her so that I could make sure that she was getting enough protein. It's not just straight calories that matter, but the type of calories, too.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Honestly, we just got back from my daughter's 18 month check up and she was 23lbs. The dr said that she is just petite. Totally healthy and proportionate. The only thing I can tell you is follow a healthy diet as closely as possible and let him be a toddler. They are going to be burning tons of calories so it is basically trying to keep that much energy going in. Protein is always a good thing too. Allergic to chicken? Peanut butter? Almond butter? All of those are a great source of protein.
    kate19kid

Answer by kate19kid at 2:32 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• hi when my daughter was an infant the dr had me give her yougurt with live cultures. ( she was sensitve to milk too.) as for weight gain if you are concerned talk with his dr you may be stressing for nothing. if you are not he will know what to do! my daughter weighed 5.2 when she was born and has always been small for her age. she is 11 now and only wehighs 54 pounds. dr says she is fine.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 5:30 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No I'm not trying to feed him vegan. I'm just trying to feed him a diet that won't kill him. He eats chicken and pork. He's allergic to beef though. For the person who asked about peanut butter and almond butter, he can not have those. Also, he's not sensitive to milk, he's allergic. He can not have any milk product...period. No milk, ice cream, butter, yogurt, cheese, etc. None of it. He eats coconut milk based yogurt, but no milk based anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I have a 3 yo that weights 24 pounds. And yes she's totally healthy just small.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• is your pediatrician worried? I'd ask him and then look for cook books that cater to allergies and see what you can offer him. Poor guy sounds like he has some serious allergies. I wish you luck.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:48 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Yes his ped is starting to worry again. She stopped worrying at 3 months when he actually caught the bottom of the weight chart. By 6 months he was all the way up to the 40th percentile, then slowly started dropping back down. At his 18 month sheck up he was back on the 10th percentil and she said, "Oh, he's thinning back out a lot," with a bit of a worried tone. (He was in the 75th for height.) Unfortunately, she doesn't really deal with allergies a lot, so she didn't really know what to do about it. He was supposed to see the allergist again in March but they changed his appt to JUNE, so I can't talk to her either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Maybe ask nother pediatrician? My dd is 23 lbs at 21 months. She finally hit 22 lbs around 15 months and hasn't really gained. She's sat around 22 lbs and finally went to 23 last month. My dd eats *a lot* and is super active so isn't really gaining weight, but her doc isn't concerned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My daughter has been on the smaller side too... she is 25 months now ans is only 25.5 lbs, but she is very active and quite healthy and super strong. She is very tall for her age. I used to stress out a lot about her weight , but I have stopped worrying now... she eats very well and eats a well balanced diet, my dr says its mostly genes and some people are just not wired to gain weight... so as long as he is getting a balanced diet, dont worry too much... if you are concerned take a second opinion from another ped.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 11:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2009