was i wrong?? (also posted in 1-2 toddlers)

so today, im at the dr w my 2 yr old..we're getting ready to leave and this little boy, probably a few months younger than her, just runs up and hits her. the mom was on the phone just minding her own business not caring that her kid was running Crazy all over the office...it pissed me off that she didnt do anything so i told my kid next time he does it, Hit him back. as i was walking out w my kid her kid tried to do it again. i very loudly said how mothers should look after their kids and not let them hit other children..and yes there were some choice words in there..so my child and i are waiting for DH to pick us up when i decide i wanted a drink of water..so we go back inside and moms at the front desk still on the phone while her kid is just running around and he tries to hit my kid Again..i had a calendar in my hand so i put it in his face to keep him from getting to my DD.. of course he just ran around it and...CONT..

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 10:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• CONT...hit her Again!!..so i told her "GO HIT HIM BACK"..and she did..right in front of his mother..and she STILL didnt do anything..so we're walking in the other direction to get the water and he Chases my kid to the fountain, and i just stopped dead in my tracks and yelled, "NO HITTING! GO BACK TO YOUR MOMMY!!" and pointed my finger at him..we got our drink of water, kid was Still there and then realized i was turning around to walk back towards him so he finally decided to run back to mommy..and mommy STILL didnt do anything.. All i could do was shoot her dirty looks becuase i Know she didnt understand a word i was saying..all she would do was occasionally call her kid to her and he would just keep running around..am i wrong for yelling at that kid and letting mine hit him back? i just wanted to punch that mother in the face for not doing Shit about it. ..i couldnt say anything directly to her becuase i dont speak spanish
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I don't think you were wrong! I would have more then likely went right up to the woman and still gave her a piece of my mind regardless of the language barrier. If she is in AMERICA she need to learn the language. I might not have had my DD hit back because you have just gave her permission to do it now so she may continue to hit, HOWEVER you are teaching her to stand up for herself.
    Don't beat yourself up over it. Its okay.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my kid knows hitting is not right..she used to like beating up her older sister..so she knows it's wrong..now she wont hit unless she gets hit first.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• SO, you tell a kid, "No hitting, go back to your mommy," after you told your own daughter to hit. NO, you handled this terribly wrong. You should've stepped to the front desk and asked the receptionist to confront the other mother. My children better never hit someone UNLESS it's the only way they can keep from being hurt themselves. In this case it wasn't, you're child wasn't in imminent danger, there were adults around who should've handled this.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 12:29 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well, when the mother isnt gonna do shit about it and the kid hits my kid 3 times, im Gonna tell her to hit back .

on another note, thanks for the responses. including yours MommyAddie
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:13 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I agree with MommyAddie. It sounds like you went about this a bit backwards. The FIRST thing that you should have tried was to tell the boy, "No hitting, go back to your mommy." The next time it happened, I would have interrupted the mother and said to her that I think that her son was trying to get her attention, because he was hitting other children to see whether or not she would pay attention to him. It must have been very upsetting to see your child hit and another mother not being a "mother."
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You could have told the receptionist. You could have also restained the child, and spoke loudly whose kid is this? when she came to get the kid, you could have explained the child's behavior. That way you would not have had to condone hitting for your child.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 2:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It's the culture, I know, my husband is spanish. They do not discipline their kids. It's aggravating as hell and I REFUSE to babysit for my sister-in-law. I've told my husband to his face that I see way too many kids unattended running around doing what they want. Not only is it dangerous, it is obnoxious. I just stay away from people like that. Next time tell someone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I would have said somethig to the mom. I don't think you were wrong to tell him to knock it off, you put up with it long enough while the mom ignored his behavior. I would so be using this as a teachable moment for your child. See, this is why Mommy expects you to be a good girl and keep your hands to yourself! You are a good girl! I would have said something to the office staff that the child was being allowed to run amuck and could injure himself and they perhaps would be held liable and maybe they could have helped you out.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:11 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I would have said something to the mom the first time it happened. If she didn't get the gist of what I was saying, I would have asked the receptionist to tell the lady to control the kid. You said loudly that mothers should control their kids but you also said she spoke spanish so she's not going to understand that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Feb. 27, 2009