How can I show that I'm an atheist, without specifically telling everyone I meet?

I was reading a post at FriendlyAtheist.com that was talking about the best way to expel the negative stereotypes about atheists, is to go out and be yourself, and let people know that you are an atheist. But how can I do that, without saying to everyone I meet, "Hey I'm an atheist!" Like when I hold the door open for someone, and they say thanks, should I respond "Your welcome, oh and I'm an atheist!" I know I could buy a t-shirt or a lapel pin, or something like that, but I can't wear the same t-shirt everyday, and I'm not a jewelry type person, so pins and things like that wont help me at all. Any other suggestions?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 11:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sixty years ago black people had to sit at the back of the bus and now there is a black man in the Whitehouse.

Atheism is the last acceptable prejudice BUT it is also growing and the collective voice of atheism is growing louder.  Give it time, sooner or later the propaganda about atheism that churches feed to their congregations will be forced under the microscope.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Man, I wish I could help you. I need to know how to nicely let people know im Agnostic.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Get a bumper sticker if you can't/won't wear a pendant or necklace...otherwise it's the awkward sandwhich board option! LOL
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• sorry, but i'm not understanding why it's necessary to tell people that? i mean, i'm a Christian but i don't think it's necessary to point that out to people that i don't even know. just trying to understand why you think you need to tell them?
    Anonymous

• why do that? you don't see christians going out telling everyone they see they're christian...they just be themselves. lol that would be wierd...meeting someone that said hi my name is xxx and i'm an xxx. I think what it means is people you get to know...or if you're having a conversation with someone in the store and the subject comes up then you can mention it. you don't have to tell everyone you come across. to be honest, when i'm walking in the mall or something, i'm not really thinking about what the people around me believe...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Well I already have an FSM emblem, and I just bought an EVOLVE on today. And that's fine and dandy while I'm driving, but what about when I run across someone in the grocery store, who dropped something, and I stop to pick it up? How will they see the back of my car?

And what is the awkward sandwich board option?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• She wants to let people know so that this stigma of the angry atheist can be done away with. There is a lot of misinformation out there about atheists and agnostics (some people think we are devil worshippers! hello!? we don't believe in him either! LOL!) and some people think we want to destroy religion and so forth and so on...in short, we have an image problem since we are just now coming out in great numbers. So, how do we let our neighbors know that the friendly family that they talk to is also atheist? And, how do we make said neighbors understand that we are still the same friendly people? I know I have had lots of friends and family members treat me differently upon finding out I'm an atheist.
    Anonymous

• well the point is to get rid of the negative stereotypes about atheists. Did I not say that in my original post? Are you not aware that according to every poll, atheists rank amongst the lowest of the low. Below terrorists even below sex offenders and child molesters. Many people you know, who you run across in your daily life, are atheists. You just don't know it, and you wouldn't guess it, because they don't meet your preconceived notion of what atheists should be. That's the point! You don't know it, because you assume all the good people around you, are the same as you.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• And what is the awkward sandwich board option?

*****

LOL - that was a joke; that would be pinning a sign to your shirt a'la a sandwhich board which is what they call those big signs that people wear with the straps over their shoulders...sign on the front and back, etc...not quite as funny now...

And to the pp who asked why - I think if I'm not mistaken that the concept is similar to the prostelitizing that some churchs promote..?? maybe; at least that how I took it...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• geez I must be typing super slow tonight! lol
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2009