• In the Spotlight:

Any helpful tips to get my son off the bottle?? No criticisms please.

He is 13 months old and still uses a bottle. I have been trying to get him to use sippy cups and straw cups with no luck. He hasn't figured out how to use straws, but he does know how to use a sippy cup and he drinks water out of those. However, he absolutely refuses to drink milk out of a sippy cup, even if I get him to taste it and he knows it's milk, he won't drink it and screams and cries like crazy until I give him his bottle. Help? Thanks in advance.

elliotts_mommy

Asked by elliotts_mommy at 12:29 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im not sure either my daughter is almost 16mths old and will drink out of a reg cup and a straw and has given up on the sippy to use the real cup but still cries and throws fits and nap time and bedtime to have a bottle... She also hates milk in anything but her bottle...Hope you get some good answers cuz im feeling your pain
    Avasmommy1210

Answer by Avasmommy1210 at 12:31 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• not sure you want to hear my answer. we went cold turkey on bottles for both of my kids at about 11 months old. They had shown the ability to drink from a sippy. Yes, they still preferred bottles, but... when there are no bottles available, they will drink from the sippy.

expect her not to drink as much as normal for the first few days. And keep encouraging her to try it (dont be too forceful).

It works....
    -Leann-

Answer by -Leann- at 12:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• um, i started giving my son his formula in a sippy at about 9 months. easier on the transition
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Try putting some water in your son's bottle. Once he realizes its only water he will decide himself he doesn't want it. Just stay strong and don't give in when he starts screaming over it! You can do it, hang in there Mama!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 12:43 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Well I'm not too far behind you. My daughter is 11 mos. old and uses a sippy cup for juice & water but when it comes to breastmilk or formula she refuses to drink. But when I put it in a bottle she drinks it no problem. The other thing with my daughter is that she has to have her milk warmed otherwise she won't drink it, even though her juice and water is cold. So I don't know I guess you can either give him more time and don't push it or decide if you're really going to do it and then stick with it. Eventually if he's not getting his milk in a bottle he's going to drink from the cup. Maybe start with one cup during the day and still give him a bottle at the other times. And I'll be in the exact same spot shortly so good luck to both of us. :)
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• hi i have 4 kids of my own and the youngest just turned 1 this month. she was weaned from the bottles cold turkey. i gathered them up in front of her and threw them away. i told her " no more bottles!! here is your cup " and that was that. the first few times i gave her the cup of milk she threw it at me but after a while she got hungry enough to drink it. dont try that one time at a time or she will continue to cry cause she knows you got one in there somewhere!! babes are not stupid and they are playing you. be firm and stick to it. as long as they know how to use a sippy this will work. ( if you dont give in ) dont let her run you. be the mom and just take it away.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 5:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I went cold turkey and it worked for my 3 girls.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 5:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• He can use a sippy so there's no reason to give the bottle any more. Take it away. Offer ONLY milk in the sippy...no water. He will give in and drink before he dehydrates or anything.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well I have three kids. At 6 months the pacis went in the garbage and at 12 months I threw away the bottles. Just stop giving them to him. Eventually he'll stop asking.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2009