Sliding Scale??

Who else thinks that the sliding scale for income tax etc. is BS? I think that there should be a set percentage and that's it. Why should someone get taxed at a higher rate for making more money? If it's a set rate, the Government is still going to get more money from the bigger paycheck right?

I'm not a high income person, and I still think it's unfair for people to pay a higher percentage of taxes just because they make more. What's the point in trying to be successful if you're going to get penalized for it?

If you work a $20 an hour job, but bring home the same check as someone making $13 an hour, what's the point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The graduated tax system does not show up very much at the 13 and 20 per hour levels. Those people would be in similar tax brackets. Where the large jumps come in is the 5 million a year type incomes. It has to be graduated, because if you took 35% of a 13/ hour worker's check, they would be struggling to eat and get health care. If you take 35% of someone making a 5mil a year income, they are still eating, and spending, and getting everything they need. At those levels just having money makes you money. That is why, and that's how it should be.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Absolutely, you're preaching to the choir here.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• How about we take 10% of everyone's check and tell the idiots in Washington to learn some frugal living?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:58 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I would hope they wouldn't just take 10%, that is twice what I pay. Just because you have to pay taxes, that doesn't mean you have to pay alot. Get some books and start teaching yourself how to pay little or no tax. I just filed my taxes this evening at a rate of 3%.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• How about we tax the crap out of these pro sports players and celebrities who make millions off of the average person? If it weren't for the average person like you and I, they wouldn't be making those millions! Issue a very high percentage of tax on their income. To live the way most of them do is ridiculous and unnecessary. Sure, we have these fat cats in the upper corporate world reaping the benefits, but so do actors, singers, sports players, etc. Let's come up with an entertainment tax or sports tax! This way, it would cut their drug use! They earn so much, they don't know what to do with the cash, so they resort to drugs 95% of the time. Put that money to use by helping this country's climbing deficit, not self-destructive behavior that costs a life!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 6:58 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Your tax rate is only 3%?

Someone explain that?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:55 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Since about half of American's do NOT pay any tax, and the half that DOES pay tax pays extra for those that don't...a FLAT TAX for EVERYONE, would even things out greatly. Then those of us who burn money for warmth would be spending more on things, hiring people, and everyone would be faaaar happier.

Trickle down economics works. Trickle up economics does not work. Show me a poor person who's hiring, because I could use a job right about now!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Anon, trickle up economics is not the reason there are no jobs right now. Rich corporate giants getting more rich off everyone else would be the reason.
    About sliding scales, I just had a phone conversation with my brother who gets all his info from Fox news and his church, and we were talking about preschools for my son. I was telling him about a fantastic school I found that I really wanted my son to go to, and my brother said that if it was so great it must be expensive. Then, I explained that they had a sliding scale program.
    My brother's response was, "Isn't that socialism?".
    Dear God, will someone stop the madness? Sliding scale systems have been around here forever! In healthcare and education, and probably many other programs I'm not familiar with. It's a concept only the greedy, resentful, or fearful would object to.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 9:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2009