turning 21!!! woot woot!:)

alright breastfeeding mama's my son is 6 1/2 months old and sully breastfeeds, but i've got him on a great nightly routine where he'll sleep from 8-6 sooo i plan on having a few drinks on my birthday while my younger sister babysits and was wondering what my limits are and what is and what isnt safe about it? cuz i've had one drink like three different nights and i havent noticed a change. .!!! my birthdays is saturday so i need answers soon! thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just pump enough for 24 hrs and drink away.. happy birthday
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My doc said it is safe to breastfeed as long as you're not inebriated (drunk) Pump before you go out drinking and pump and dump twice afterward to be on the safe side... Lucky you are turning 21 now.. I was 7 1/2 months pregnant when I turned 21!!! All I got to have was a glass of wine! Happy 21st!!! (Try a kamikaze... excellent tasting shot!)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• There is NO need to pump & dump. Alcohol metabolizes in your breastmilk the same way it does in your blood- so only time will rid your milk of alcohol. The only reason you would want to pump is to maintain supply- but if your baby sleeps through the night and doesn't normally eat, I don't see any need for you to pump. Most things I've read say one drink per hour- the same rule as driving. But you have to keep in mind, many mixed drinks at the bar have more than one shot in them.

Have fun! I too was pregnant (8 months) on my 21st!!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:05 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• 1-2 drinks, you are ok to nurse. Any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing. So, with your daughter's sleep schedule, I would not suggest having more then 4 drinks.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2009