Baby Acne...

My six week old just broke out with a bad case of acne on her face. I'm not sure how to pin point what could have caused it. The day before the outbreak she had been held and passed around by many of my relatives. Also she is breastfeeding and I recently started taking new medication. Supposedly the medication is safe to take if you are breastfeeding. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do and how long did it take to go away?

actress

Asked by actress at 1:31 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Very normal... here's a website that I found EXTREMELY helpful!! Has a slideshow that shows different rashes, how babies get them, how to treat them, and if a doctor needs to see them.

http://children.webmd.com/slideshow-baby-skin-care

Hope this helps!!!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• This is partly normal for babies due to hormones. But it's also probably due to women's make up and oils being on her face. Just wipe her face off every morning with a lukewarm/damp cotton ball and it shouldn't stick around much longer.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think baby acne is pretty normal. It usually doesn't last long- if it's not a reaction from something like detergent. My niece is 2 1/2 months old and she got it really bad. My sister in law knew he hadn't changed anything to cause it. She breastfeeds and the dr said it could of been something my SIL had eaten.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:42 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Baby acne isn't caused by anything. Acne is due to the skin getting used to producing oil. It will stikc around a couple weeks or a couple months. Nothing you can do for it, it will pass on it's own.
    If it isn't baby acne then it may just be rash. If it passes within a couple days then it was just a irritation. If it gets worse and spreads then give the doc a call.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:13 AM on Feb. 27, 2009