wanting to know if it's normal for a child with adhd inappropriately touches someone else?

My son is 6 yrs old and has been suspended from school because he touched someone's underwear.

jay697

Asked by jay697 at 1:55 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ?? What do you mean he touched someone's underwear? Like, while they were in them?
    I do think it is possible that they don't understand bounderies as well. I do know with my son I have to be very specific. "Do not touch your sister's "whatever"."
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:57 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Well I can't tell you about adhd but if a boy touched my daughter like that I wouldnt care what behavioral issues he had. I would have him punished to the fullest extent. I had  4 boys suspended in elementary school for this type of thing. Looking back they may have had adhd because they were the busiest students and usually got into trouble alot.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• adhd has nothing to do with it. You did not post details so I am going to assume he was just curious or messing around, not that he is a bad kid. Just talk with him about good touch bad touch and peoples space and he will hopefully not do it. again it has nothing to do with adhd.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:06 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You had four boys suspended in elementary school???? That speaks ill of your daughter. Not the boys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• ANON this was when I was in elementary. My dd is 5 months old. I wasn't a whore if thats what you are trying to say. I was shy and I kept to myself and these little boys thought they could things without me saying anything. I hope you dont have a little girl...you probably will be the type of mom to not believe her.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:14 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• IMO ADHD/ADD is SOMETIMES (not always) used as a excuse to allow the child to...get away with more things then a non ADD/ADHD child could. The fact he has ADD/ADHD should have NOTHING to do with it, it's the parents responsiblity to teach their child boundaries, and to REMIND that child of the boundaries (daily, weekly etc). Such as "don't touch anyone/allow anyone to touch your/their swimsuit area"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• ADHD or not it was inappropriate. You need to talk to your son and figure out why he would even THINK it was okay to do such a thing. Impulsivity can be part of ADHD, but not always. It depends on your son's full diagnosis. That doesn't excuse the behavior though. Never.

And I have a son with ADHD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• ADHD do often times have spacial issues or impulse control, but a lot don't. We are getting our son evaluated soon, but he doesn't have those problems. You need to sit him down and talk to him. Also talk to the teacher and get the full story. That way you have your son's side and another opinion into it so you can kind of get a better understanding of what happened. ADHD or not, he needs to learn to control that sort of behavior.
    Side note- MamaChamp, I was shy too, but I never once had a boy in elementary school act out toward me in an inappropriate manner. By the time that was an issue, I had learned to stand out a little, and stand up for myself.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2009