breatsfeeding problems!..... help!!!!

I have a 3 week old and i am breastfeeding but also supplementing with a bottle because one breast has enough milk but the other has very little i mean very little i try to make him latch on the left breast so i can produce more milk for him but he crys because hes not getting anything after a few minutes what can or should i do i pump and pump but maybe 1/2oz comes out of the left side?? im very down because i would rather not give formula but i have no choice it made me cry because he was still hungry after he drank as much as he could from the right side!!!!

babyJade09

Asked by babyJade09 at 3:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmm, I think you should consider talking to a lactation consultant from your hospital about your left breast. Also check out the breastfeeding moms group...there is a huge post of ways to increase your milk supply. The last thing you want to do is suppliment with formula..that will only lower your milk supply.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• First and foremost, nurse! On demand, no matter how long, no matter how often. BABY is the best supply booster you can have.

Be sure you have a real suppply problem rather than a perceived one. Pumping only two ounces at a session is normal and isn't a supply problem. Changing fewer than six diapers per day DOES indicate a real supply problem.

If you're already nursing around the clock and pumping frequently and are still changing fewer than six diapers per day, then you can look at different techniques to increase your supply.

1. Water. 64 ounces daily.

2. Oatmeal. For some reason this can increase supply. Bowl a day.

If those two don't work, and you are not diabetic (gestational diabetes doesn't count), then you can add the following items from the health food store:

3. Fenugreek. Two capsules, three times a day.

4. Mother's Milk Tea. As directed on the box.

5. More Milk Tincture.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:43 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• keep pumping and pumping. giv him a bottle once in a while. i hav a 5 month old. i had little milk so i just stopped and went to formula. i really wish i would hav stuck with breastfeeding.
    haileysmommy017

Answer by haileysmommy017 at 3:43 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• 6. Blessed Thistle (someone please add the dosage?)

If you're still not seeing improvement, then you can see about calling in the big guns. By prescription only:

7. Reglan

8. Domperidone.

Whatever you do, NURSING is the most important component of your plan. No galactagogue will be effective if you're not giving your body the stimulation it needs. So put baby to breast as much as possible.

(This all came from Breastfeeding Mommies post with 591 posts in it. This is just the beginning)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• He is also at prime age to act hungry all the time. Try pumping the bad side while he is nursing on the good side. Pumping is no indicator of supply. In those first 6-8 weeks that baby is made to make you think it is starving so that your supply will increase to meet his needs. It is natural. Sometimes you will be lucky to make it to the bathroom and back without baby screaming. Look for 6-8 wet diapers a day. The formula will sacrifice your supply. I learned that the hard way with my first 2. the third I decided not to supplument in the early days and she was fine. Acted starving, but was producing pleanty of pee, and made my supply come up. Good luck mama.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:19 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• A mother's guilt starts early doesn't it!?! All of the above advice is great but try not to beat yourself up about this. If you've done all that you can, giving a little formula really isn't the end of the world. Any breast milk is better than none. That being said, it is still really early in the game and I didn't really get the whole breast feeding thing down until about 2 mo. A lot of women struggle with it. Talking to a professional is a good idea. It will get better if you keep at it though so don't give up!!! Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Something I wanted to mention. I have nursed 2 children. My daughter for 13 and a half mos, and my 19 mo old son is still nursing. I've always had pain and discomfort and problems nursing with my left breast. Both children. So, I didn't use it. You can fully sustain a child using only one breast if you have to. In your shoes, I'd keep trying the breast in question, but if the baby doesn't take it, then go back to the favored breast. (p.s., I am a bit uneven because of this, but oh well)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• And, get yourself to a La Leche League meeting. Those women are my saviors.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I have the same problem, I prouduce WAY more in my right breast. I call the left breast the pacifer boob LOL! I have to nurse her doing the "football" hold to get her to nurse on that side so maybe you should try that, also Fenugreek DOES work on increasing your supply, 3 pills 3 times a day should do the trick, good luck!!!!
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 10:05 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Wow! Such great advice so far! I'd also recommend letting baby eat a bit off the right breast, then switch him to the left. At that point he should be slightly satisfied since let-down has occurred and not be so objective to your left side. It could be that particular breast has a slower let down reflex. My right is the same way. GL mama!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2009