Help me choose my career!!!!

I can't decided what I want to do once my youngest starts school(Which is in about 2 years) Here are some things I have thought about. Which ones do you think would be better for a Mother of Three.
~Cosmetologist
~Realtor
~Lunch Lady @ an Elementary
~Pre-School Teacher, or Teachers Aide
~Psychiatrist(which is what I REALLY want to do but don't believe I have the Money or the Brains to make it through school)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• What is it about psychiatry that interests you so much? Would you want to work with children? I would suggest the pre-school teacher job then (so you dont have all that school to deal with). The one where my girls go are always doing 'continuing education' training.

I am not sure I would jump into real estate right now. Think about it in 2 years, thinga will be different.
    Good luck!
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 6:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You might want to look at the demand of the various jobs out there, first, before you decide. Schools are making so many cuts that you may not stand a chance, cosmetology is a very rough business to succeed in - especially if the economy still is bad b/c people aren't going to pay top dollar for a haircut. Frankly, you might want to consider medical - maybe ultrasound tech or something along those lines. It's fairly cheap to get certified, there are definitely jobs out there for the field, and it doesn't take long to get the education. I'm currently looking for a job and all I see are positions in the medical field. There will always be a need for that.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 7:09 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Go back to college and work on your AA in psych and see if thats what you want to do. You can do it from home thats what I did. I graduate in a couple weeks.

Answer by gemgem at 7:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• What is it about psychiatry that interests you so much?

~ I really like everything about psychiatry! I like to listen to other peoples problems and give them advise, I psychoanalyze everything, I love it!
    I would like to work with children but I am a very emotional person and I don't think I could handle the emotional stress working with children would cause.

TeensMom..I have thought about going into the medical field because I know the demand, but I REALLY cannot think of anything that interests me. An Ultrasound Tech sounds good to me but I really don't see myself in a medical facility.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• If you would be a teacher's aide for a while you would find out if being a teacher is what you really want, and also if you can arrange it, perhaps you could be in the same school as your children, which would be a convenience at that age.

Answer by Bmat at 9:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• If you like psychiatry I would suggest getting an Associates in Human Services or something similar and looking for jobs in mental health centers, non profits that help people with disabilities or at a psych hospital. Most county and state governments hire assistants to help social workers, counselors and therapists. That is how I got my start in counseling. I first started out as a Rehabilitation Therapist Assistant. I worked with mentally ill clients at a county mental health center. It was a great job. Now years later I am a counselor myself. Many of the state and county government agencies will also help you pursue a higher degree if they see potential in you.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 1:30 AM on Feb. 28, 2009