How can breast pumps damage your breasts?

The nutritionist at my WIC office said that if you have it on the higher settings you could damage your breasts. But I was wondering if anyone new exactly how it would damage them?

NewAngel011009

Asked by NewAngel011009 at 6:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Health

• Not that I know of. My LC told me to start at the highest setting until letdown (simulates baby's vigorous sucking) then dial it back. I guess it could make them sore if you just stayed on high for a long time, but it's not like it's pulling your whole breast in. Maybe she thought the movement could clog/squish ducts. Hhhmmm now you've got me thinking....lol
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• hmmm my LC never told me that, im having supply problems at the moment so ill try that and see if that helps. As for the other thing Ill try looking it up online maybe i can find something
    NewAngel011009

Answer by NewAngel011009 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• it can cause bruising from the pressure and where the breast enters the tunnel can get bruised from hitting it. Starting out on high suction can actually cause tissue swelling and make it hard for the milk to come out. I always start out on low suction but high speed and then after a couple of min's I tun down the speed and then slowly increase the suction. After 10 min's if the flow has stopped I slowly increase the suction till I get more milk.......
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 12:48 AM on Feb. 28, 2009