• In the Spotlight:

how to teach sippy cup use?

my son is a year and has a hard time with the sippy cup. he knows how to suck from it to drink, but he does not realize that he has to tip it, so i still have to hold the cup and tip it for him to drink. i think this is because he was primarily breast fed and never really had to hold a bottle either. he does well with "straw type" sippy cups that he can drink without needing to tip.

susanjpt

Asked by susanjpt at 7:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I sat my breastfed baby on my lap facing away then held his hands with the cup in them and showed him how to lift/tilt and drink from it. He was 7 months. Maybe it will work for you too :^)
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You may want to just stick with the straw cups. There is no law that says he needs to use a sippy. Ideally, you will want to get him to the straw anyways. I would say stick with what you are doing! :)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Not trying to argue, but why stick with a straw? Kids have to learn how to drink from a cup-without a lid-eventually. He has to learn to tip it to get a drink. We only do straws if we're eating out & at home for milkshakes.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• my son didn't really the cups with the spout so we try the nuby with straw and he loves them because they are much easier to drink out of then the spout ones.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• This might sound a little harsh but when I was giving my daughter the sippy she would do the same thing to me--wouldn't tip it. What I did (here's where the harsh comes in) I wouldn't help her at all the entire day...if I did it was to hold it up and place her hands on it. I'm telling you it took maybe 2 days of "tough love" for her to understand that she needed to tip it to get a drink---and I'm pretty sure by the end of the first day she started figuring it out. Now the trick is getting her OFF the sippy! haha...Good Luck!
    mjtighe

Answer by mjtighe at 11:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• rugers - Well, if you think about it drinking out of a cup (with no lid) is totally different than drinking out of a sippy cup. You can't tip a regular cup back the way you have to tilt a sippy cup back.

At first, they suck the same way with a straw as they do with the sippy, too - minus the tilting it back part.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2009