Strep Throat

Ok, so my son who is 8 has been on strep meds for 8 days now! Yesterday he started complaining of a headache and was a little warm, this morning he has a fever of 101.4 and sore throat and a headache and it looks to me that he has white dots on the back of his throat. I don't know if I should take him back to the doctor or just keep giving him meds. HELP!!!

determind

Asked by determind at 7:56 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• you should go back, after 8 days the antibiotic should have worked, so he may need something stronger and strep is nothing to fool with. if doc isn't in, go to emergency room today!
    driftwood

Answer by driftwood at 8:06 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It would'nt hurt to call the Dr,but the white stuff in the back of the throat is normal with strep,but He will probab'y tell you keep up the meds,and Motrin or tylenol for the fever,and if the fever gets any higher bring him in. I been there done that. Good luck,and I hope your little guys feels better soon.Does he have a follow up visit?
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• no follow up visits! The doc wasn't that bright anyway, she said at first to keep him in a room with the humidifier and she wasn't going to test him for strep and then I told her they already did and it was positive and she said "Oh I didn't know that I should look at his records, I suppose I should give him antibiotics" Stupid people

determind

Answer by determind at 8:11 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well,I would go ahead and take him back,like driftwod said the antibiotics should have started working,and if you don't trust the Dr he seen,then go on to the ER.good luck.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:16 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• After 8 days the strep should be gone and no fever unless it is something else, also if he is brushing his teeth with the same toothbrush as before he will just give it back to himself. my son had strep alot last year and we got the strep shot, strep was gone in 24 hours and he has not had it since. Take him back to the Dr. but a diffrent one.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My 8 year old son had strep but I did not know, then he got kidney failure from it! so it is crucial to check them out again...my son still has blood in his urine and it has been 3 weeks.
    gizzardmom

Answer by gizzardmom at 2:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• definitely get him rechecked- i dont understand why you waited so long? the medicine must not be working!! good luck.
    j-hunt

Answer by j-hunt at 8:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2009