Other then a SAHM what profession do you think is most unnapreicated?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Any fast food restaurant job. People seem to always look down on people who work there and I think they work so hard and are doing what they have to do in order to support their families. At least that's what I've noticed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I agree with the first post. I don't know how many times I would kindly explain to people that unless THEY had ever worked in a fast food restaurant themselves, they had no room to complain. LOL.

The other profession I think is definitely teachers. Obviously there are "bad apples" in this category but I really think the majority try to do what they can to inspire the children in their rooms, to help mold them to be intelligent, enjoyable young adults and teachers really don't get a whole lot of respect or appreciation for their work, from parents or from the kids.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Preschool Teacher
    Social Workers
    Group Home Aids
    Special Needs teachers

Answer by gemgem at 8:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Well, I have two answers depending on what you're looking for. If you think being a mom is a profession that is underrated, then I would have to add that a good father is probably even more underapprectiated than SAHM's. Mom's catch a lot of slack when they aren't good moms or are not perfect in everyone's eyes. But DAd's catch a lot of slack when they ARE good dads. AT least, from what I see. My hubby gets rolled eyes when he can't go places with his friends because he's doing stuff w/ our kids. Or I see other dad's who take their kids places, and moms don't like how he's treating his kid. Hey, he's there, with his kid. They are doing something together. He's participating in his son's/daughters life. Dad's don't get enough credit.
    But if you're talking about a paying job, then it's teachers, hands down.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 8:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Any type of nurse. Teachers. School bus drivers.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Teachers, Day care providers, CNA's , Nurses, Nursing assistance, Social workers, those who support people with developmental disabilities, those who care for our elderly. I am disgusted that our sports starts and entertainers make millions of dollars, but those who care for , support and teach, our children, elderly, developmentally disabled can barely make ends meet most of the time.

norbert

Answer by norbert at 8:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• While I was waiting for the question to load on my slow computer my answer was going to be teachers, and it sitll is, but it is true that fast food workers, mothers, fathers, social workers, all of these are underappreciated. I chose teachers because it isn't just standing in front of a class and reciting your knowledge, teaching is being "on stage" the whole time, knowing how to offer your knowledge in such a way that the students, who may all learn diferently, are able to learn, and teachers in the schools have papers to grade and reports to write and so forth. I can't imagine that nurses are underappreciated, they are angels who work very hard and are a major medical resource for the patient, I know I admire them greatly. (more)

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• (continued)
    I'd say that most jobs, unless you actually have tried the job, are hard, especially if done conscienciously, are under-appreciated. The plumber, for example, having to crawl around outside in the wet in near freezing weather, the beautician, the snow plow operator. If someone does their job well, and cares about the results, chances are there are aspects to the job that others don't even know about.

Answer by Bmat at 8:55 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• teachers.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Really, is SAHM a job? We are all mothers, whether or not we stay at home or work. I don't consider it my profession. I am a mother to my children. I don't expect any rewards, recognition, or pay. I chose to bring them into the world, and its my responsibility to ensure to grow up into productive members of society.
    Anonymous