What's the difference??

I'm wondering what the difference is between powdered formula, and liquid concentrate. I have so far given my son liquid concentrate since birth, he's 8 1/2 months now, so I've switched over to powder due to him not eating nearly as much, and it's less expensive. WHY is it cheaper, is it considered just the same as powder quality wise? I don't get why they charge so much more for concentrate it's not that much easier to make..any knowledge about this stuff would be great to hear!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're using liquid, make sure that the packaging is BPA free as it can freely seep into the formula in liquid form and many formula manufacturers haven't yet switched to BPA plastic for the packaging. Liquid is more expensive because it is much more expensive to ship it due to its weight. Quality wise, there is no difference but powdered formula can get a little chunky, can occasionally clog the nipple during a feeding and air bubbles are more common due to the shaking. I use Kirkland Brand (Costco's generic) formula and have found that although the ingredients and nutrients are almost identical to Similac and Enfamil, it mixes much better. So, I guess it depends on what works for you.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I can't explain the intricacies of it. But the concentrate is good in the fridge for about 3 days. If you make a powdered bottle it is good for 24 hours, unless they have started drinking it then it goes in the trash after 1 hour. Powdered formula as the possibility for powder chunks and created bubbles when you shake it to mix it. It is cheaper and will most likely last longer, but those are the differences that I have found.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• ya, BPA is an issue...I've been giving him the same stuff since birth so switching him now is pointless, he's on powder now though. He's done with formula in 4 months. I shake it so well, I look at the bottom to make sure there's no clumps in it as well. I was just wondering if there was something about the quality of it that was diff...just seems less accurate when mixing it, the way it measures out! Thanks ladies :)
    Anonymous