• In the Spotlight:

Temper = sick?

My dd is she sweetiest little girl. Her day care teachers usually fight over who gets to have her in their class. Most of the times, when she's sick, I don't even know it! Most of her ear infections have been discovered at well visits. The last two days the day care reports that she's been misbehaving. Throwing chairs, getting into the trash, hitting kids. This is NOT normal behavior for her. So I'm wondering if it's just toddler tantrums (she'll be 2 in May), or maybe she's learned from watching the other kids? Or is it maybe that she's not feeling good and acting out. I suppose it could be another ear infection or teething. Has oneone else seen a child get aggressive/misbehave when sick? Or is she maybe just hitting the terrible twos a little early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be any of those things. My son is almost 3 and when he doesn't feel good, he acts very bad and has a nasty temper. He had a nasty cold last week and it was horrible. A lot of laying on the floor wiht his face buried in the carpet crying.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:05 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• From experience - when my son started acting out daily, much like your daughter is, it was because he was bored and needed more structured activities to keep him occupied. We learned that this was consistently my son's way of saying without words - I need MORE stimulation! Every time he was ready to "move up" to the next class (he's in a center that has infants to PreK), his behavior started getting ugly on a daily basis - by the third time this happened, we knew what it meant - time to move up. So consider it possible that she's bored and needs more structured class - she's ready to move up.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• If it's unusual behavior for your DD a trip to the doctor couldn't hurt. My son gets that way when he's teething mainly beacuse he doesn't sleep as well at night and so his impulse control during the day goes down.
    Mammoo

Answer by Mammoo at 9:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Generally speaking, if my son was more cranky than normal over certain things, it meant he had a double ear infection lol. Then he turned 3 and just flat out became a butthead lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Hey moms... about those ear infections....

I have great advice on how to get and keep them away...my son was about to have to get tubes and I did't feel that a 1 year old just have to be put under for something that could be fixed without surgery not to mention that tubes won't always prevent ear infections.

We started going to a chiropractor. His nasal problems and his ear infections are gone. We have not been to the doctore in over 3 months for colds or anything. When a child (adults too) spine is out ot alignment it throws their immune system off and makes it easier for infections. You will be amazed at how much more your child will be able to fight off from daycare that the other kids are getting sick from.
    Our son has not had the stomach bug, flu yet and he will be 2 in march.

Just a little advice worth checking out!!
    atkc56

Answer by atkc56 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 27, 2009