Why is "judgmental" always seen as a negative term?

Someone told me I was judgmental once because I didn't agree with what she was doing. Yet, if my opinion was the opposite (supporting her) then I wouldn't be judgmental? I'm still judging her, just agreeing with her in that case.

I really hate how people say you're judgmental unless you agree with them!

JustAMom2008

Asked by JustAMom2008 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Judgmental implies that a person thinks that their opinion is better than that of the person being judged. I guess if the person calls you judgmental unless you agree with them, that they are being judgmental. :)

Answer by Bmat at 9:03 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think its an overused word. Anytime we make a decision were judgmental.

Answer by gemgem at 9:03 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'm quick to tell people this. EVERYONE is judgmental. If they say they aren't, they have their blinders on. When you meet someone for the first time you make an initial judgment about them. You may not think you do, but guess what. You decide if you will talk to them again... it's ALL judgments.

People only throw being judgmental around when it supports what they are going on about. People like to be mean when someone doesn't agree with them.
    Evymetalmommy

Answer by Evymetalmommy at 9:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• True, everyone is judgemental to some extent because we all have to assess various things, thats life. BUT, A lot of times what people are implying when they call someone judgemental is that the person is not valuing others judgements, not being sympathetic or understanding of others points of view, and just generally acting "better than" another person and thier opinion.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I see your points. I still think it's just an easy label to toss back at somebody instead of trying to see their point of view...or agreeing to disagree.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Most people are incapable of just agreeing to disagree. I walk away from a lot of fights because people think I do not value their opinion (judgment). I do. I listen very carefully to what they say and generally give them a chance to explain why it is they feel that way. I value what they say just find, however, just because they say it doesn't change my own judgment.

Evymetalmommy

Answer by Evymetalmommy at 9:42 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think the term judgmental (as a negative connotation) is when we see ourselves and our opinions as better or higher than the other person or their opinion. I am so guilty. I try really hard to see other people and their opinions as different and not less than me or mine.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I don't see judgemental as a negative word, but realize that so many do. We have to judge to make decisions and form opinions. We teach kids one of the reading strategies is "Making Judgements" and then people cry because they are being judged. They hate being held under scrutiny because they won't hold up. I don't care when other people judge me, because I am basically a good person.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2009