Do you think it's extremely rude to see someone talking on their phone in a checkout line?

I'm a cashier in a major retailer,and to me,that is the heighths of rudeness. Unless someone on the other end is dead or dying, there is NOTHING you have to say that is so important, you have to totally ignore the human being who is patiently ringing your order up! Hang up the stupid phone,and have a face to face conversation. If all you both say is "hello,how are you!" At least you are acknowledging that person is there. I see it in fast-food lines all the time,also. Does anyone else agree it's beyond rude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• no it doesnt prevent you from paying and who said you had to have a conversation with the cashier
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:16 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Not if I take a moment to say what I have to to the cashier, but I do I think it is rude when the cashier at a local convenience store is ALWAYS on the phone and you can tell it is a BS conversation, or a supervisor comes over and starts a BS conversation with a cashier at the grocery store and I am trying to ask a question/say something about my order and they totally ignore me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• YES YES YES,I can't stand it,yes it is rude.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No I don't think its rude unless you are holding up the line because of your conversation, it's called multi-tasking.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No, I don't think it's rude as long as the business at the cash register is taken care of. So many times I am ignored by the cashier as he or she carries on a conversation with the person bagging my groceries.
    RNsteph

Answer by RNsteph at 9:19 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• If you are interacting, or supposed to be interacting, with someone who is there in person, such as a cashier, then yes it is rude. I guess the person thinks that the cashier is just doing her job and that interaction isn't required. While waiting in line, though, as long as the telephone user keeps her voice down so that everyone in the store can't hear the conversation, I don't have a problem with it. But as soon as the person's order is being rung up, since there is even a chance of the cashier needing to ask a question or to comment on the order ("did you know that these are buy one get one free? " for example) then it is polite for the customer to make herself available for interaction.

Answer by Bmat at 9:20 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I don't think it is rude. I always thank the cashier even if I am on the phone. Does the cashier really want to have idle convo with every person that comes through?!?! I wouldn't think so.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I use to be a cashier and I found it really rude. Especially if I had to ask them something and they would totally ignore me. Not to mention sometimes I would ask them if they wanted a gift receipt and they would just nod their head No and then by the end of transaction they would get off of the phone and say "Oh by the way I needed a gift receipt". That would really make me mad because I would have to ring things up again and cancel the last transaction because they were too busy talking on the phone! I dont think anything is that important that you cant get off the phone for a few minutes.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 9:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• RNsteph, had this problem too. Its usually some high school part timer carrying on with her buddies, maybe the cashier on another register or the sacker...thats just as rude. And they are the ones providing services.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• By the time I got my answer posted there were several more, that I just read. I grit my teeth when the cashier carries on a conversation with someone else while ringing up my order. I want her attention on what she is doing so that mistakes aren't made. and I may have a question that I can't ask because her attention is elsewhere. And a cashier chatting on a phone while ringing up my order is rude! I also don't appreciate when a customer calls on the phone and the cashier stops ringing up my order and goes to find what the phone customer is asking about. I am there in person, I've been waiting in line, the cashier should tell the phone customer that the phone customer is 4th (or whatever) in the queue and will be helped as quickly as possible. Or better yet, the cashier should not be expected to take care of phone customers as well as in-person customers.

Answer by Bmat at 9:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2009