What can I do?

Yesterday when Hubby came home for his lunch break, 30 minutes into it his boss called him back to work, and was very unhappy that he even took a lunchbreak because one of the board members was down on job sites. My hubby works for the utility company doing water and sewer work. Then when he came in today, he got reprimanded because he failed to ask his boss "Am I done for the day, do you need me to stay?" WTH? He's never had to ask that. They are making him take a day off. Next tuesday. Isnt it illegal to not give your employees and hour lunch break? And even more so, to not pay them, especially overtime, when they do work through their lunch break? Its very rare that he ever gets his full hour, and maybe 2 days a week, he doesnt get a lunch break at all, yet they dont even pay him his regular wage for it. He's basically working for free. What can I do about this??

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would call the department of labor in your state and they can give you concrete info. But here in CT you have to provide a lunch break if you work over 6 hours. And if he works hourly then he must be paid for overtime. But check with your state.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It also depends on what paperwork your DH signed when he was hired, what ever the employee handbooks states is what the labor board will go with, unless it violates laws, also most place dont take an hour lunch, I know in construction it is usually 30 min, most companys require you to take lunch and atomaticly deduct that time, if your hubby is not allowed to take them and not getting paid he needs to report it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It all depends on the job--I worked for years as a waitress. 10 hour shifts, no breaks or lunch unless there were NO CUSTOMERS AT ALL in the restaurant.
    msunderstood

Answer by msunderstood at 10:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My husband also works in Utilities - He is a Lineman... It depends on the job, demands & lots of other factors.

I was furious when I discovered that my husband was not getting lunch breaks... or much else. It has taken years for me to realize that it all depends on the job. Our men are much different than us, my hubby does not think it is a big deal...

Sometimes it isn't worth 'rocking the boat'... just my opinion.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It is illegal for them not to have an hour break, however it can be broken up into 30 minute lunch break and 2 15 minute breaks. Does he get payed by the hour or is he on salary? If he's a salary employee it doesn't matter how much overtime he works he will get payed the same. One good thing about salary though, is if he misses a day or two his pay check will still be the same. No missed money.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 12:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I would also ask if he is a member of a union. The union may have rules about breaks etc. that the utility folks are supposed to follow.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Well I would look into he spcific laws in your state. MomofJandM said it's illegal to not have an hour break. Well here in NY it's 30 minutes, not an hour....so that just shows how it can differ
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2009