• In the Spotlight:

Can you afford to raise a child?

Many times on CM I have seen people make statements such as "People shouldn't have children they can't afford to raise." Who gets to decide what that means? The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140 for a middle income family. Do you have this amount set aside to raise your kid? If not, why did you have a child you can't afford to raise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 9:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I had a child b/c God blessed me with one. No I don't have that to pull out of thin air but my child is given everything that she NEEDS and then a little extra if we can afford it. That cost is also over a child's lifetime so you don't need that much to start with. Just enough for the basics.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I believe that you shouldn't have children unless you can afford to raise them. Why should a child suffer because you wanted to fufill your need to be a parent. No, I did not have that amount money set aside, but know that over the next 18 years I do.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well me and hubby did not plan our kids we wanted to wait i was on depo and i got prego with my first and we was bareley making it but we managed and got preggers 2 more times after baby #1 and same thing i was on bc but out they poped we have stuggeled but our kids our not in need of anything they are fortunate as are me and hubby that we can provied there needs and wants...we are not on welfair and do not draw foodstamps me and hubby work and go to school,we are a happy family would not change a thang
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Since that's only about $185/week yes we do have that money. Now multiply that by 14 kids and you have $2590/week. Unless you make well over $10,000/month you will not be able to afford those kids.

While I don't think it's anyone's right to tell someone why they shouldn't have kids, I also think it's hideous to have so many kids that there is no way to support them without assistance. NOBODY except the ultra rich can afford more than 10 kids (and to me that's 7 too many...) without assistance. If you CAN afford them, great! Have 'em. But please don't try to delude yourself into thinking that the average couple can support so many kids in the proper way.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 9:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Yes, we can. We pay for everything for our daughter with our own hard earned money, and use our own private insurance we pay for, to keep her healthy. We recieve NO government assistance and take NOTHING from ANYONE for her.
    miranda2001

Answer by miranda2001 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Yes, I have the ablity to earn 9k per year. Whats the big deal? Or did someone forget to divide by 18 yrs? I didn't know they were so cheap. This has got to be a national average and not a NY CA Boston Chicago or DC average. I'm pretty sure I've spent more than that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• we're doing amazingly well on the income my husband receives.
    we could make twice what we make now(actually, a little more than twice) if i went to work but i don't believe in allowing someone else to raise my children.

believe it or not, money is not everything.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:03 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Doesn't that cost of raising a child take into account the cost of renting/buying a home and feeding the whole family and so forth? I am sure our kids cost a bundle but not that much individually because we all lived in the same home and we all ate the same food, (after bottles, etc, of course) and things like that. That aid, we both worked like dogs to finish our educations and get good jobs so I could quit working and be a SAHM, without going short. NO, we didn't have hundreds of thousands of dollars in thebank--still don't, but we raised 2 children without any assistance of any sort, had insurance and provided for them, all of their needs, and plenty of their wants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I mean, "that Said" sorry
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:13 AM on Feb. 27, 2009