i was wondering if anyone has experienced this. my 3 1/2 yo daughter's bottom areas have an odor. I bathe her regularly. Is this normal?

SleepE

Asked by SleepE at 9:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, my daughter has had a bad odor as well. It is simply because she does not wipe herself well enough or bathe her private area well enough at bath time. She is at an age now (she is very close to 4) where she wants her private time to do it herself. But, she is in too much of a rush to do it properly. So, I have had to go back to monitoring her and even at times helping her until she can show that she is capable of doing it herself.
    Lessell

Answer by Lessell at 3:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I would'nt think so,is she wiping good? she may have a yeast infection,I'd have her checked,just to be on the safe side. Good Luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• If you are bathing regularly then something else is going on. Odor = some type of infection or something. I would take her to the doc.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I agree, could be an infection of some type. Yeast comes to mind
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I also thought of a yeast infection, or just the fact that she may not be wiping well enough. I would get it checked out to look for obvious yeast or other infections.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My three year old has a normal female odor, Hre doctor said she has a high hormone level, and I have to watch for signs of early puberty. If its not a bad odor it could be this I would check for a yeast infection though, Your doctor can tell you for sure. Good luck.
    deliriousmommy

Answer by deliriousmommy at 11:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Is there any discoloration in the area too? You should really take her in to make sure it's nothing major...
    Anonymous

• we took my daughter the the dr and they gave us a cream. because she had an odor too and they said it was a yeast infection- but washing with soap make it dry and she would scratch. so we give her plenty or water and yogurt and if i notice the odor or her scratching, i use the cream for about 4 or 5 days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My daughter had the same thing. It was definitely a wiping issue. We bought those flushable wipes and whend she started using those to wipe- the odor went away. Now she wants to use regular old TP again- and the smell has returned. They just are not good wipers..... But those flushable wipes worked!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2009