DD is potty trained and is now having accidents! Help!!

My DD is 3 1/2, she has been potty trained for about a year now. Just recently she started having issues. She will run to me in tears, freaking out because shes got to pee, then she goes all over herself. Its happened maybe 5 or 6 times over the last two months. Its like she waits until it is too late and then pees. I just don't understand why, or what to do about it! When we potty trained her, she had maybe 2 accidents that first day and that was it! She was potty trained both for day and night and now randomly is having accidents.

Any guidance???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she is just waiting until it is "too late" tell her that you know she gets involved in play, but her toys will still be there if she gets up and goes to the bathroom as soon as she feels she has to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• sounds to me like she does wait until the last minute before she goes. my little sister used to get distracted with things or didnt want to stop whatever she was doing so she could go. then she would have accidents. try having her sit on the potty once an hour or something or ask her often if she has to go. have her take a break from whatever she is doing, and try.
    you may want to talk to her dr about it though just in case there could be something else going on though. good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• This is so very, very common. Yes, she is waiting until it's too late. Like I said, very, very common. Kids get so wrapped up in what they are doing, so afraid they will miss something that they don't want to stop and go to the bathroom until they have no choice. But by then it's too late.

What to do?
    Keep track of the time for her and make sure she goes every 2 hours
    OR
    Set a timer and have her go when the timer goes off - you may even be able to get her to reset the timer once she goes.

Keep in mind that this may be a problem until she is in grade school. That's common too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'd take her to the doctor and make certain she doesn't have a UTI or Kidney infection. That's pretty common in girls. Worth checking into. She might be waiting too long because she's overly involved in what she's doing also. If thats the case just make sure you step in every thirty minutes or so and remind her that she might need to try to go. :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2009