bad cold =/

my 8 month old daughter has a really bad cold. the bad cough, runny nose and watery eyes. everytime she falls asleep she always wakes herself up by coughing. i feel so helpess cause i know theres not much i can do for her. i hate giving her medicine but i feel i have no where else to turn. ive proped her matress up, i have the humidifier on at all times pretty much. i try to use the sucky thing for her nose but she refuses to let me do it. i even let the shower run to get some steam in there and then put her in the tub with some of that johnson baby vapor bath. anyone have any other suggestions?

sarrrr13

Asked by sarrrr13 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like your doing most everything you can, hang in there. Your doing great!!
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 10:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• The only other thing I can think of is PediaCare makes a plug in for the nursery that is similar to the Vapor Bath...only it vaporizes the room where she sleeps. It can help clear mucous so she can breath better.

Also, plenty of fluids. Pedialyte if you're not already giving it to help hydrate. The more hydration, the better her body will be able to clear the mucous.

I know there is a lot of controversy over this, but my doctor okay'd 1/4 teaspoon of benadryl at night for a couple of nights when my daughter was really, really congested. It seemed to help dry up some of the mucous (but I was so paranoid all night that I didn't get any sleep...giving a sedative to a baby can be dangerous). If you're desperate, you might want to ask your doc.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 27, 2009