What helps croup?

My 17 month old has croup & has been on medicine since Tuesday. The dr told us that the cough should get better within a day or two but my poor little guy still sounds awful & isn't able to sleep at night. So does anyone know of any natural ways to help speed up the healing process??

lizafur13

Asked by lizafur13 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2yr dd just had this last week. She had stridor on top of the croup. I put a cool mist humidifyer in her room. She was put on prednizone for the stidor. It took a good 5days for the cough to wind down. She would wake up at least once a night coughing and I stood her in front of the fridge with the door open and the cool air would let her catch her breath. Also, I put vicks vapor rub on her chest and back, she seemed to breath better with it on.

tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 11:10 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My niece came down iwht croup while my sis, mom, and I were on a trip to NYC. The pediatrician said to take her into a bathroom steamed up from the shower and sit with her for a while and then to take her out into the cold air (bundled up of course). Bo back and forth. It helps break up the congestion. She was better the next day.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I have never heard the back and forth, but have heard both the hot steamy bathroom and bundling up to go out for a walk. Also a vaporizer in the bedroom, BUT make sure the child CANNOT reach the unit or the cord.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 27, 2009