I have extremely nosey parents. Did anyone else have this problem?

I'm grown, married and a mom and I live near them. They always ask where we are going when we leave, then when we spend our money on anything that is not a need they gripe (even though they are way worse than us, we don't hardly ever buy anything.) They're in debt up their heads and have been for years. When I use their computer they check to see what sites I got on and even got my passwords. They always tell us what to do with our money and we don't make bad decisions but they really push their bounderies in "helping." I shouldn't have to feel obligated to lie to them about where I am going or what I am buying but I do and like I said. We rarely buy things any way. They blow money way more than us. They're too stubborn to listen to us so I don't know what to do other than cut them out of our lives and that wouldn't be something I would want to do or probably could do because they're right there and they have helped us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Continued..So, if you've been through this, what did you do? Did you find a way to get them to stop? We can't move but we will later when possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I wish I could help. We have a similar problem with my husband's mother. We have a lot of money and she doesn't. She's jealous (but would never admit it) and thinks we should somehow owe her something. So she is always asking us about how much something we bought was or how much we make or even what we are buying currently. It's ridiculous. She even asks us for money. If they were really having a hard time, we would help. But she gambles all the time and loses her money so it's her own fault. We started telling her we didn't have the money to help. She knows we are lying but our financial situation is none of her business. Nothing we say to her makes her stop so I feel your pain. It really is annoying.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My mil is like that. When we bought a car she said "well how much did that cost?" and she always trys to pry into our finances. I told my husband if she keeps it up I am going to be a smart-ass and reply with " It cost 50 million dollars. why do YOU want to pay for it?? No, then back off and but out!".
    Anonymous