Why does my todder hit his own privates?

My son, who will be 2 years old in April, has just recently started hitting himself in his privates while he has a diaper on. I thought at first that he was doing it when he was peeing or had to pee but I'll go to change his diaper and he'll be dry ,and wont pee soon after either. I asked him today if it hurts and he told me yes, but then told me no. I'm not sure what to make of this. He doesn't have a rash or anything and everything looks fine. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter does this i think its normal for toddlers to do this my daughters 15 months old i think maybe she may do it because she doesnt really know what she has down there but thats just my opinion im taking her to the dr on the 3rd i will ask her pediatrition for you and let you know what he says he has two boys of his own so maybe he'll know something about it
    111807mom

Answer by 111807mom at 10:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Um.. Im probably just repeating what the poster above me said. Im not sure, it was kindof hard to understand..

You should take him to the doctor just to make sure. He could be just experimenting because this is the age when they just want to get to know their bodys.
    Good luck with everything!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 11:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• He's probably just trying to figure out how his body works. I wouldn't worry too much unless he starts to hurt himself... like the area turns red or starts to bruise.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• My 15 month old DS does this, too. I think it's just a phase. It doesn't seem to hurt them. I just laugh and tell him to knock it off cuz I want grandchildren some day.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• my son is turning two and I have caught him doing this when he has had his "extra friend pop up" lol. I asked his ped and she said that it was perfectly normal and thats just how he has learned to deal with it for now. Just make sure he doesn't injure himself
    Anonymous