Is a level of 11.2 really anemic?

my doctor has me on 325mg twice a day of iron pills. he said that my level was 11.2 and i am slightly anemic. i only ever take one pill a day (skipping a day here and there) because they are really harsh on my stomach. the only thing i really notice when i dont take them is that i'm tired. if i ate better wouldnt it be just as good as taking an iron pill? am i really that anemic that i need them?
What is considered normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Health

• i went through that could not take iron pills so i ended up going to the cancer institute for iron treatments every week for 2 hours at a time for 6 months..

sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• The 11.2 he is referring to is the amount of hemoglobin in your blood. For adult women a normal level is 11.5 - 15.5. Adult Men is 13.5- 17.5. So your level is below the very low end of normal. Hemoglobin/iron is required to carry ozygen throughout your body. If it is low then nothing is being oxygenated the way it needs to be, thus you become tired and fatigued. Iron rich foods is a good idea but there is a difference. Iron from animal products like clams, mussles and chicken liver is absorbed much more easily that say, enriched cereals or canned beans. You should really try to ear an iron rich diet as ell as take your supplement.. Oh..when you take your supplement, drink a glass of O.J. Vitamin c helps iron to be absorbed better as well.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:20 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I should also mention pregnant women should be very careful about eating liver. It contain high levela of Vit A that can be toxic to the baby.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2009