I swear, there were ELECTRIC SPARKS crackling around my baby's body!

I was not hallucinating - at 4:30 am last night (we co-sleep), my 12-month old was sort of fussy and not nursing readily. I adjusted the covers and suddenly I saw little green flashes crackle on his flannel onesie. Totally awake now, I put on my glasses and looked closer. Every time he moved there were sparks coming off his clothes. Well, I freaked out. I took the onesie off him and shook it hard. The static sparks went crazy. I scooped him up into his room and put a different set of PJs on him. He seemed to feel better when we went back to bed, nursed, and fell asleep easily. HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE? He was wearing a Carter's "Super-Comfy" one-piece fleece footed pajamas. Maybe the static was out of control because we sleep on flannel sheets? I would appreciate any input!!!

Tentaculata

Asked by Tentaculata at 10:08 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would report that immediately to Carter. Childrens clothes r not supposed to spark!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You can report it but I think it was the flannel on flannel.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I thought that was normal. Fleece and flannel create a lot of static electricity. I know I see it when I get into bed in the dark and I don't even have flannel sheets and I'm wearing regular sweats. My kids get a lot more of it because they were fleece pajamas and they carry a huge static charge especially after running around on the carpeting in their rooms. The sparks don't hurt, not that I've noticed. They just feel prickly.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• dryer sheet with you sheets will reduce static think first replier has never seen static in the dark
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 10:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It is totally normal, my sister and I used to make static electric sparks in the dark all the time. It is just flannel on flannel. Dryer sheets and/or fabric softener will take care of it.
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It's just static electricity. Your house is probably dry due to the cold weather.
    Anonymous

• It's static electricity lol. Nothing to freak out about and wont cause a fire or danger. It happens to everyone in this house because the weather is so dry and all my winter pjs are fleece type material. I see it getting into bed almost nightly!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Thanks everyone! That's all a big relief to hear. Re the dryer sheets though, is it okay to use them with a 12 month old? I know you're not supposed to use them with young babies.
    Tentaculata

Answer by Tentaculata at 1:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I have a baby with sensitive skin and have still used the dryer sheets (unscented) since he was a newborn with no problems.

You can keep using those pjs, too! ;)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2009