Welfare question

I think most people can agree that welfare is a necessary part of our County. Ie: mom's going to school, working parent's who just can't quite make enough, disablities etc...
My questions is what are your thoughts on women who are on welfare being required to be on some form of birth control in the form shots, IUD's etc? It seems to me that many men and women who are on public assitance continue to have more children that they cannot afford.
Also do you think that assistance should be used so that some moms can be SAHMs?
Your thoughts please.

(I am also all for drug testing for assistance in the form of welfare benefits but that is another question.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with the drug testing thing, It's not fair for parents to smoke up our tax dollars. i think there should be a limit as to how many kids you can sign up. So say if you have 3 kids when you sign up for welfare, you will not receive benefits for any kids that come along after that point. That way women can't keep popping out babies to keep the food stamps rolling in. I also think that benefits should be reduced when child reaches school age. These women can get a job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think if you are on assistance, you should be working, period! They should require a minimum of 40 hours a week unless there are health reasons and then it needs doctors' approval. It should also be more than one doctor. The birth control thing is hard because most state do give out free birth control. They can't make you take it every day. The only thing they can do and know for sure you are using it is the shot. Someone could take the IUD out, flush the pills, etc. If you don't get your shot on time, you have 2 weeks to get it before you are dropped. I agree with that. I agree on the drug testing as well. I think the government should be helping the people who are helping themselves. They should also be required to take classes on money management and things like that.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i disagree with what you are proposing.
    i'm against goverment controlling how many children anyone can have, for any reason.

offering birth control and even encouraging it would be a great idea but forcing someone to be on birth control? i don't think so.

heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:14 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I do not think assistance should be available to families who just want to have a parent stay it home. I think if you are on welfare you shouldn't have more kids. Sadly people pop out kids just so they can stay on welfare. I think there should be a cap on the length of time you are on welfare - 3 years MAX. I also think if you are on welfare you shouldn't have things like a cell phone, internet cable etc.

I also think couples should sit down and figure out their budget before deciding to have kids.

There's a big difference between welfare for a woman who's husband died or who lost her job than it is for a 20 year old on her 2nd or 3rd kid.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:16 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i" think there should be a limit as to how many kids you can sign up. So say if you have 3 kids when you sign up for welfare, you will not receive benefits for any kids that come along after that point. That way women can't keep popping out babies to keep the food stamps rolling in. I also think that benefits should be reduced when child reaches school age. These women can get a job."

GREAT points!
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I am all for drug testing, but I don't think the government shoul be in charge of regulating how many children a person has. What are they going to do if someone gets pregnant anyway? Forcibly abort the baby? That would be like China.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:17 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Well for the love of pete!! I am the OP and I have no idea why that was anon. I am on my BBerry so maybe I hit something on that...sorry girls...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Could the person that was forced to be on BC sue the state when she got heart problems, cancer, or blood clots? BC is dangerous and forcing someone to be on it is insane.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• They wouldn't be forcing a woman to be on it. But it would be a requirement for welfare. The woman has a choice, birthcontrol and welfare, or no birthcontrol and no welfare. We aren't saying that ALL women would need it regardless of income or anything, just if they want to be in this problem.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I guess agree with the drug testing but not the birth control. Yes, it's wrong to take advantage of welfare services by having more children but our rights as American citizens protect us against being limited on how many children we can have. I do agree that some women shouldn't be allowed to have children but I don't think it is right to make any women unable to have them. I don't think that wefare should be used to allow mothers to stay at home because I believe that it a privilege not a right ESPECIALLY when being supported by the tax dollars of those who do work, but in that case I fully support government child care subsidy. Nothing anyone does is going to change the fact that people have babies when they aren't able to fully support them.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2009