Does any have interview advice?

I am currently looking for a job. I feel like I don't do well at interviews. Anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do a practice roll play with someone. Most interviews are behavior based questions. Plan to have examples ready.
    Good luck!!
    ~Shay
    jewelrylady98

Answer by jewelrylady98 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Look the person in the eyes when shaking hands, it shows confidence.
    Know what the job entails ahead of time so you can play up your assests to fit the job.
    Take a breath and think before you answer a question.
    If they ask for negatives, make it something that is actually positive. Like wanting everything perfect.
    And be yourself!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Also, dress professionally! I see too many people take them way to casually!
    Check out these sites for more help.
    http://www.job-interview.net/
    http://www.job-interview.net/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• 1. Find out as much as you can about the company for which you are interviewing.
    2. Dress appropriately - one step up from what you would wear if you got the job.
    3. DO NOT ask about the money or benefits in the interview. If they ask you back for a 2nd interview or offer you the job ask at that time.
    4. Thank the interviewer for his/her time, both verbally and with a follow up thank you note.
    5. Turn off your cell phone before going into the interview
    6. Don't say anything negative about previous employers
    7. Don't beg for the job or tell them about your personal problems
    8. Don't be late for the interview
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• All great suggestions! There are some techniques you can use too, like writing down the answers to questions they might ask, and practicing it. Get your DH or a friend to come "interview" you, and try videotaping it (if you have a camera phone w/ a video button this works great.) If there is something you are doing that pops out at you when you do playback, take a look at it. Some basics that no one mentions: not making eye contact, not saying hello or good morning, not learning the interviewers name, chewing gum, using swear words, speaking too softly or too loudly, taking calls on the mobile telephone, not accepting offered beverages (if they ask if you want one, say yes, water, it puts them at ease.)
    Anonymous

• Get a good night's sleep the night before. Eye contact is a huge plus. Shake the person's hand and use a firm grip.

Sounds trivial but check your breath. I used to interview poeple and nothing turned me off more than interviewing someone who had horrid breath especially since I was trying to find people who had to have face to face dealings with customers.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Arrive by yourself 10 minutes early and dressed for the job, know your resume and contacts info without having to refer to paper. Speak clearly and correctly, do not lie on your resume or during the interview and be honest with yourself. If they offer you hours you cannot be there, speak up now and do not think you can plan something to be there when needed.
    Whenever I interview anyone, I always assume at least a third of what I am told is a lie, and expect that their physical appearance at the time of interview is the best and will continue to decline from there forward. And it does, and there is nothing more frustrating than having to fire someone who said they could be here at 830, when they knew at time of interview they could not. Don't lie.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 27, 2009