Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I completely forgot b/c I've been under so much what should I do?

I filed my taxes and claimed partial income. I'm a tutor and cosmetologist from my home. I also receive child support ($6000) a year, but I completely forgot to mention it. I think it was b/c I went to a new company and waited forever. When I was seen I just wanted to get out of there. Anyhow, what should I do now? Or can I wait til next year to add it in? Will it most likely decrease my refund (which was under $2000 b/c of the tax credit) or will it increase it? Any advice would be appreciated b/c I don't want to be audited for making a mere mistake. Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • I would redo this years taxes. Having child support every year except one will red flag you. The child support will decrease your refund because it is added income you had.

    Answer by kboney29 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • Okay so, do I have to redo now or can I redo by April 15th? thank you!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • You can file for an amendment. Go to and they have more info their. I don't know about childsuport, but if you want to file amendment it's forms 1040X and 1040.

    Answer by MomOfJandM at 12:22 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • Redo it by 4/15 to avoid any tax penalties on the unreported income.

    Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:01 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.