Is cauliflower and broccoli good for my baby? When did you start giving it to your baby?

My baby girl is 6 months old.... can i start giving her boiled cauliflower and broccoli? they are two of my favorite vegetables...what are some other vegetables and fruits that are good for babies?

tory_vasy

Asked by tory_vasy at 10:16 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didnt start giving mine these types of veggies until they were toddlers and had lots of teeth. Even boiled the stems are still tough to chew up small enough to aviod choking, at this age soft smooth textures are easier, like jarred baby food with small soft chunks.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Well those are known to give gas so I think it would hurt the baby, just by giving them a lot of gas. I'm not sure though. I don't know of any fruits and veggies BAD for a baby per say. You just have to watch for allergies and start them slow.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'm assuming your talking about pureed broccoli and cauliflower for a 6 month. It's recommended to wait until 10 months or more because those veggies cause gas. Check out wholesomebabyfood.com. It's a great resource for questions like this even if you don't make your own baby food. It tells you the appropriate ages for all types of fruits, veggies, proteins, and grains.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 10:55 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I gave pureed broccoli around 6 mo. (maybe a little later)...most books and magazines say to wait until they're closer to a year on broccoli but I never had any issues with it. It really keeps my daughter's bowel movements regular. I just started giving cauliflower recently as a finger food (10 mo.) but only because it never occurred to me earlier. Other good pureed veggies are sweet potato, squash, pumpkin, green bean, carrot, eggplant, turnip, parsnips...
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I didn't do solids until 6 months. The book I used for infant feeding suggested these at 8 months. I gave them at 7 months. I actually only gave broccoli on a regular basis and it was my son's favorite food until he was a year old. He ate it for a while pureed then I'd give it to him chopped. He loved it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No flalbert OP said BOILED, not pureed
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:53 PM on Feb. 27, 2009