Should the tax intercept holding law for child support be changed?

Every year I get a check from child support...a tax refund intercept. In my state I have to wait 29 days to get this money, which is usually a few hundred dollars (but hey, Im not complaining). The state does this so that the other party can have the chance to dispute the action, which has never happened in my case. Once the money is released, the state takes $25 for holding the money in the first place.

I know $25 does not seem like much, but that is shoes and socks for my daughter at the very least. I get tax intercept because this person owes over $30,000 in back child support. I got his stimulus check last year. Ususally I get no regular support other than a little here and there.

Anyhow I am curious what the other waiting periods are in other states,a and if you feel as I do that this needs to change. If there are families that can use that money, why hold it?

lilmizmoore1127

Asked by lilmizmoore1127 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Geez, you're lucky. In Alaska it's 6 months unless the person paying signs a release form. Then it's still 4-6 weeks. I don't think they charged her for holding the money, but I do know a few years ago we filed taxes in March and she didn't get the money till the end of September, and they had taken out all $ she had gotten from the state. In effect we had to re-pay her welfare because it was providing the Child Support that he was behind on. It was awful, I felt really bad for her...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 10:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I see no problem with a wait time. You know every year there is a wait time and can plan accordingly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• She is talking about the FEE! and no I think HE should have to pay the fee. But then most child support laws seem to protect or at least help the deadbeat parent!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• your really lucky my mom is still tring to get child suport back child support from my dad and im 23 years old now she gets maybe 50 dollars here and there its ridiculous
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• well shoot . I deleted my long winded answer because I didn't understand the question correctly!!! As far as the fee goes...I agree completely with momof...the deadbeat should be paying that fee to the dang state. But I think it's a crock the state charges it at all.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• momof030404 ~ re-reading the question I see this:

"Anyhow I am curious what the other waiting periods are in other states,a and if you feel as I do that this needs to change. If there are families that can use that money, why hold it?"

So while the fee seems to be part of it, it seems the heart of the question is why do they hold the money at all. I don't mean to be nitpicky, I just wanted to point out that you don't need to be so vehement in correcting others when you yourself are wrong.

(OP, if I am wrong you have my apologies ...)
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 10:53 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Yep.. I just caught this part

If there are families that can use that money, why hold it?"

and answered that. 

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i am glad that someone said dead beat parent and not dad because you would have really got me going this morning because my husband always pays on time...
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:30 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• LOL...I am really good friends with 2 women and one has a deadbeat mom an one a deadbeat dad! But the deadbeat mom keeps getting just a slap on the wrist because she is a woman ..but she is WAY behind on CS!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Let me try to ask this so it makes sense. Is the entire amount of his refund credited to his account, or do they take the $25 first?? For Example, if his refund is 975 do they credit all 975 or just 950 because if it's 950 then technically he is paying the $25.

As for a waiting period, to my knowledge there isn't one in NY or at least there wasn't 8 years ago when I was getting intercepted tax returns. And if they have to have a waiting period couldn't they have a waiver or something that the payer could sign to have the money released?? That seems like it might be fair.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2009