Hubby says I spent too much on my daughter--Did I?

First, we are financially secure. Daughter is a 13 yr old, 8th grader. 2 days ago she asked to go to her first school dance. (I home-schooled her through 7th grade) Not with a date. Just on her own so that she can hang out with friends who are going. Dress is dressy casual. Daughter's schedule didn't have time for me to take her shopping so I went w/o her. Scary. But I actually got an outfit she loves! Miracles do happen! I spent $120.00 on dress, shoes, large scarf for a wrap, hose, necklace, bra (dress required a strapless one), and a hair thingy to put up her long hair. Hubby is furious that I spent too much money on this. It isn't as though we don't have the money--we do. The dress was 30% off. I thought that was pretty good. Shoes, bra, necklace, and hair thingy all came from Wal-Mart. I thought I was being pretty frugal. Is he right? Did I spend too much? I just wanted her first dance to be perfect.

mommy22miracles

Asked by mommy22miracles at 10:19 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• No I don't think you spent too much. If you can afford it then who cares.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• $120? IMO that is not too much at all! tell dh to lighten up!
    sheilabug

Answer by sheilabug at 10:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• 120.00 for all that!!!! No mom you did good...Dads just dont understand
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No not at all. Wait till your husbands sees how much prom will cost!!!!
    myangel21

Answer by myangel21 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I think that is a wicked price for everything you got. If your hubby is freaking out about the cost of this dance, wait until prom.......
    MeeSheeStar

Answer by MeeSheeStar at 10:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Thanks. The dance is tonight and my daughter actually asked me to put her hair up with the clip for school today. She NEVER lets me mess with her hair. It was awesome!
    The dress is gorgeous, spaghetti-strap with a high waistline and green sash. The uneven hem about knee length. White with green flowers, with a bit of brown on the flowers. Wrap is brown to match. Shoes are white, open-toed with high heels. (Given that she wears a size 9 shoe, little girl styles are out of the question.) I am so excited that she's going. And proud that she doesn't feel like she has to have a date to go. Course it's a bit scary to see how grown up she looks in it. But it's a good scary. My baby is growing up to be a beautiful young woman. Wish her Dad would just recognize that the money is the cost of having a happy, well-adjusted, outgoing daughter.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 10:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• thats cheap if u ask me ... i would have spent more
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No you did fine. Hubby is only furious because he does not know how much girls stuff cost. He'll live.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:01 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I agree I think it was awesome you were able to get all that for only $120!! Yeah men just don't understand the cost of things!
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 1:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• It’s probably that he just doesn’t realize how much things cost now, I’d calmly break down the cost of everything. If you do that I bet he would see there is no way around paying that much. I'm gald you had fun :) I can't wait for my DD first semi-formal dance
    Bear777

Answer by Bear777 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 27, 2009