Do you think people should be tested before they have kids?

What I mean is that so many people have children that they are unable to care for. Whether it be no jobs, alcoholics, drug addicts. Do you think that people should pass some sort of test? It just kills me that so many children are borught into this world without being cared for properly. And then you have the whack jobs that murder their children because they are mentally un-stable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I always say that if God really knew what he was doing then everyone would have been born sterile and there would be a screening test to have kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No because if my SO's dad had to pass a test he would have failed horribly and my SO wouldn't be here today! And he turned out to be a great man, even though his dad is a jerk sometimes who spent some time in prison. The apple definitely fell far from that tree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• How are you going to make this work. When a baby is born, have all the babies (boys & girls) temporarily fixed. So when they want to have a children, they go down to an office and apply to have a baby/prove they can afford it.

Answer by louise2 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I agree with the theory and so does one of the pedis I used to work for. I thought that it was funny the fist time she said it. In practice it wouldn't work though. We are a free nation and people willingly have unprotected sex w/o thinking about the consequences that that has.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Jeez what's next forced abortion????
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• it was a hypothetical question i believe, colleen, calm down
    love.life

Answer by love.life at 11:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I only asked to see what people thought is all. I am not thinking that this should be the way. I love how people get their knickers in a knot over stuff. WOW.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• People are scrutienized to buy a dog.
    Anonymous

• No!
    As heartbreaking as it is to see a child abused in any way, it's the way of the world. It's been going on since the beginning of time. Children being killed, sexually abused, neglected, physically/emotionally abused, and generally damaged.

I had a really rough childhood,I was damaged in a lot of ways. It's made me a stronger person. By my parents abuses and mistakes, I know exactly what not to do. It's made me very aware of what can damage a child and put parenting in perspective for me.

I believe when adult damages a child, they will pay for it. It might not be here on earth, but they will pay. I believe there are consequences if you damage a child, whether it be Karma or God's judgment. It could be that the "child" refuses to have a relationship with the toxic parent, as an adult. It could be our justice system that steps in.

As hard as it is, things happen for a reason. It may not be right, but it happens.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I get what you are saying and yes in theory I would love to see a test and backround check that people would have to pass in order to become parents. It is hard to wittness the abuse and neglect and just plain ignorance exacted on the innocent. However there is no real way to enforce something like this. I get your point though.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2009