Homeschooling: The first steps?

My daughter is only 8 months old but i am doing things to help build her language and comprehensive skills. She's not even a year old and you can tell she's a fast learner. I dont want schools suppressing her abilities and so i'll be homeschooling her for the first few years then we'll be moving onto a computerized homeschooling where a teacher grades her instead of me.

What is the first step when homeschooling a pre-schooler?
Is there anywhere i can get the material i need?
Where do we go when she has to take the state tests to see if she can go onto the next grade? Where can i view these tests so that i know im on the right track?

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 11:15 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I homeschool my 3.5 yr old son, and will do the same for my daughter when she is old enough. The best things when baby is that young are to do simple activities with letters and their sounds, colors, shapes, and numbers to 10. You do not HAVE to use a curriculum, you can put lessons together very easily yourself when they are young. Its all a matter of figuring out what works best for you and your child...how long a day to school, how many days to school, worksheets or hands on or both. Some great sites for free lesson ideas and printable worksheets are -
    www.first-school.ws
    www.tlsbooks.com
    www.kidzone.ws
    And the one I used tons for learning letters and their sounds before we even started actual "schooling" is www.starfall.com - awesome site!
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 12:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I'm a part time preschool teacher and i use a book called "Big Preschool Work Book" it has a lot of fun pages for kids! like mazes, counting, following directions, letter and word skills, identifying shapes, dot-to-dots! its GREAT!! i got mine at Wal-Mart, its the cheaper one but they have a lot of preschool books there! i get also get a book at Costco i don't remember what its called but it comes with a DVD! i think they have it at Wal-Mart! you should also get craft stuff! glue, glitter, paint etc Good luck!

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• also go to " yourbabycanread.com " its really good!! also youtube it and youll see how it works!

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• also get leap frog toys and movies! the leap frog letter factory is a GREAT movie and a fun movie for kids! my daughter learned all her letters in about 2 weeks from that movie....

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I am unofficially homeschooling my daughter until she starts preschool this November when she turns 4, and I will always teach her at home and supplement what the school does.

But I have been interested in what it takes to officially preschool......... like the OP said, what websites for the tests to pass them on to the next grade, etc? I would love to know if someone could post it in my chatterbox! Thanks!
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 7:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I like the "My Father's World" preschool set. "Lauri" puzzles and games are included in that. Don't expect your 1 year-old to be doing worksheets and workbooks. Read to her. Give her pegs and puzzles and blocks. Talk to her as you go about your business.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 3:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't know what state you are in, but in Minnesota the purpose of the standardized test that the state requires is not to determine if your child can move on to the next grade. It is to give you an idea of how your child's test-taking abilities compare to other children their age. You do not have to go anywhere to do this test. You can order a test from one of many private schools or companies that make them available to homeschoolers. Your send the completed test back, and the child's score will be sent to you. You do not have to let the public school know how your child did on the test. Dividing children into grades is a method public schools use to organize teaching. When you homeschool, you can teach your child according to his ability.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 3:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2009