Why is the death penalty such an issue?

Why are our prisons overcrowded with people who are beyond rehabilitation and just in there until they die. Why not kill the killers and free up space, money for their care, etc.. etc.. Think about this, do we really want our money to care for these individuals as they age and need more care? I simply don't understand why we just don't kill them after they are found guilty. Help me see otherwise and religious reasons will not make me see otherwise. I want other reasons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm Agnostic so religion has nothing to do with my feelings on this issue. I am very Liberal and have always been for the DP. Until recently. After I joined CM and got involved in debates on the subject, I learned much I didn't know. While I certainly still feel there are those who deserve to die for the crimes they have been convicted of there are simply to many who are wrongly convicted. One group has cleared over 100 people sentenced to death. I think if we continue to use it we need to be very specific about how and when it can be used. Maybe only if there is solid DNA evidence or 2-3 credible witnesses or something along those lines. I'm not really sure how to fix the problem I just know I am against innocent people being put to death for crimes they never committed. 

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• religion fills in the gaps of common sense. this is one of those things...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• because many have being proven to be inocent even after they were found guilty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I feel the same way.If you are in jail because you killed someone. They should bring you straight from the court house to the death chamber and kill you. Weather it's your first offence or 2nd or 3rd.

Answer by louise2 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Or if your in jail and you have the death penalty.

Answer by louise2 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I have also read that with appeals and such it's actually less expensive for us to give someone life than the DP but I don't have anything solid to confirm it.

Friday

• I believe killing is wrong. At what point do you become the beast?
    They should have more "tent cities" like the one in Arizona..
    Innocent die from the death penalty too
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

actually this statement is true l learned it in law class!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• sweet------I believe killing is wrong. At what point do you become the beast?

isn't abortion killing? Why is one ok, and the other not?  so, at what point do you become the beast?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Since 1973 130 people have been release from death row with proof that they were in fact innocent. Others have been release due to unfair trials and questionable evidence. The 130 with out a doubt were innocent. Some went to the death chamber and were nearly put to death. If it was not for the long process they would have died. Innocent men have likely been put to death. The evidence is destroyed upon their death so no one can research further and lessen the accountability of our system.

These 130 men lost years of their lives but thankfully did not die. Sorry but one innocent being put to death so we can have our vengeance is wrong and immoral. If you all can sleep at night knowing there is a innocent father or mother on death row who has not been vindicated and will likely die I cannot.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Feb. 27, 2009