Gassy foods with breastfeeding

What foods made your newborn gassy?
I'm only breastfeeding, no formula, so I want to try to stay away from the gassy foods before it begins. We've already experienced some if it with broccoli... any other foods you ladies know of?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 11:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only thing I had issues with was Mango (I know...strange). I ate broccoli, drank coffee, etc. and had no issues that I know of. (Keep in mind that all babies are gassy to a certain extent ...some more than others... regardless of what they're being fed).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Check out this great info at "My baby is gassy. Is this caused by something in my diet?" http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html
    "Does a mom need to watch everything she eats to avoid having a gassy baby?

The idea that certain foods in any mom's diet will cause gas in her baby is incredibly persistent but is not founded in research. If certain foods in moms' diets were an overall problem for most babies, we would expect that cultures that emphasize those foods would have more gassy and fussy babies, but this does not occur at all.

This is not to say that certain foods would not bother a particular baby - this does happen occasionally (and it's more likely with very young babies). However, there is no list of foods that every mom should avoid while breastfeeding. In fact, most babies are fine with any food that mom eats, so there is no reason to avoid a food unless you notice an obvious reaction in your baby every
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Onions, peppers, and believe it or not, chocolate. Some babies can be sensitive to caffeine, mine however is not. I know it's a bit time consuming, and who has much of that with a new baby, but try to keep a mental note (or even write it down) of what you eat, that way if your baby gets really gassy you can better pin point a source. Now my little one is 7 months old, and nothing really bothers her anymore. They grow out of it, so try not to worry too much mama!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2009