can dads get post partum depression?

it seems like DH's symptoms would be the paternal form of post partum depression... is there such a thing? any experiences with it? how do i deal with his resentment towards our 7 month old?

ariel08

Asked by ariel08 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't see why not. I mean, minus the hormones men probably (at least CAN probably) experience the same type of anxiety and stress that comes along with having a baby, not to mention the need to "step up and be a man".
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Technically no, b/c PPD has to do with homonal changes. But no reason he can't be upset or stressed out by all the changes.
    Anonymous

• I believe they can. I know of a friend who had it. And as far as treating it, he will need possitive feed-back, and may need to see a Dr. for a Rx.
    medicmomof2

Answer by medicmomof2 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I believe it can. There's a lot of pressure on a everyone when the baby comes to step up, to learn new stuff, to be a respectable person and have a job and put food on the table. There's worry about doing things wrong, anxiety about handling new situations.. Those are all things that the new mom AND the new dad are learning to handle. The hormones make it TRUE PPD.. but depression in guys is just as much a reality as depression in women. Guys just don't like to admit it as much so you don't really hear about it.
    If you know someone with this 'male PPD' then you should try to support them and try to get them into counseling if necessary
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• technicallly not "post partum".... BUT I do think it is for sure possible that dad can be going through alot too.. all of the attention that was once focused on him is now split between him and a baby.
    One thing I KNOW I do and of course do not intentionally.. but I put my dh on the back burner to the kids... which I really shouldnt... but I do. Its hard not too.. but I think if the roles were reversed and he did the same to me.. I would be saddened by it. ....
    Anonymous