re-cooling the breastmilk

If I warm up the breastmilk in a bottle warmer and the baby doesn't drink it, should I toss it or put it back in the fridge?
Is that safe?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 11:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I believe as long as it was out for less than an hour you are fine to put it back in the fridge. I don't know. There is always the addage "when in doubt throw it out." I would probably put it back in the fridge and then give it funny looks everytime I went to get a bottle and end up throwing it out anyway...lol. I always make too much breastmilk anyway since I pump and bottlefeed, so I guess it depends on how much you have and what oyu can afford to get rid of, but I googled it and found a site that said as long as the BM hasnt' been out for more than an hour it's fine.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Check out  this information at http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/reusing-expressedmilk.html

"... If the milk is warmed up but not used, it is OK to reheat the milk once. But the more you reheat the more you decrease some of the valuable immunologic properties of the milk..."

"Breastmilk can safely stand at room temperature for 6 to 8 hours and need not be discarded if the first feeding attempt is incomplete. In contrast, formula must be refrigerated and discarded after the first feeding attempt because it contains no antibodies or infection protection factors."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2009